+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite sandwich(es)

Ok, I have a new favorite sandwich....at Applebee's they have a turkey sandwich on sourdough bread with their spinach cheese dip sauce on top...mmmmmmmm oh it is soooooo good. I had it on Sunday after shopping, went again on Wed to have it again and I want it again...now.....it just mets whatever deepseated food need I have this week.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Dammit, senrik - fried dace with black beans is Chinese. Chinese. Fried dace with natto (ew!) - now that would be Japanese.

And the Vietnamese po'boy you're talking about is a banh mi, I believe. So good, and cheep too! Although I've never head them with japapenos, only serranos. :dontknow:

I've never used mayo as a condiment, except in aioli and tartar sauce. Hmm...fish sandwiches with tartar sauce...yum.

And Lucy, I don't make tuna salads with mayo, neither. Just makes the tuna soggy and masks its taste, IMO. I usually make a bastardized/cooked version of Tuna Ceviche: therefore, Italian tuna (i.e. packed in olive oil, not water), tossed straight with freshly-chopped basil, diced tomatoes, chopped chilis, minced shallots and scallions, lime juice, and freshly-ground pepper and sea salt to taste. Vury nass.
    Thank you... I knew I wasn't crazy....
    Anyway, the po'boys I get over here are from this asian supermarket over here (uwajimaya) and they are fantastic (and yes there is jalepenos in them.... lord knows, since seattlites are so anti-spicy-food).
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Thank you... I knew I wasn't crazy....
    Anyway, the po'boys I get over here are from this asian supermarket over here (uwajimaya) and they are fantastic (and yes there is jalepenos in them.... lord knows, since seattlites are so anti-spicy-food).

Yay, Uwajimaya!!!! We drove up to the one in Beaverton last weekend and spent tons of time (and not too much money) there. Had to plan all of our meals for the week around them.

Not really a sandwich, but that type of food: Char Siu Bao
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Hot: Philly cheese steak with onions or a bacon double cheeseburger :eat.

Cold: Chicken salad on a croissant . I used to love tuna salad but I've given that up because of the mercury content .

Cholesterol's okay, but mercury scares me.

What goes in a banh mi?

Quote Originally Posted by sheela
    What goes in a banh mi?
    yes, nausicaa.. I'd kill for a good recipe.

Hmm. Char siu bao. Thats a bun with roast pork inside? yummy.

and tracy, I was in the Seattle one on monday and tuesday last week. (its like a pilgrimage to me)
    Last edited by senrik; 11-22-2003 at 11:53 PM.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I like fish fillet sandwiches and grilled anything sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Hmm. Char siu bao. Thats a bun with roast pork inside? yummy.
    Ooh! I love those!

Urgghh...I just had five champagne truffles, and now I feel slight sick. Never. Inhale. Too. Many. Truffles.

Banh Mi is a sandwich served on a baguette-like roll that's crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.

There are different ingredients, depending on what kind of banh mi you choose. Some of them are: fresh cilantro, cucumber, onion, pickled daikon (Chinese radish), julienned carrots, jalapenos, barbecued pork, shredded chicken, tofu...etc. Condiments: pork liver pate, headcheese, nuoc cham (lime-infused fish sauce.)

And no, I don't have a recipe. Why make it myself when they can be bought cheaply at Toronto's Chinatown? The cheapest are $1 Cdn, and the most expensive are $3 Cdn. Good stuff.

And someone mentioned Char Siu Bao? Yum-yum. I've always called them Cha Cha Bao, and they're are so good. Not really a sandwich, though, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    And no, I don't have a recipe. Why make it myself when they can be bought cheaply at Toronto's Chinatown? The cheapest are $1 Cdn, and the most expensive are $3 Cdn. Good stuff.
    why? cus I am 1.5 hours from my nearest source, and I don't want to go without, sometimes I have these burning needs for certain foods.

anyway, I found a recipe i can use to tide me over... thanks anyway

+ Reply to Thread