+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Favorite sandwich(es)

My favorite once-a-year sandwich:
    Grilled cheese and chili sandwich.
    On the first day that the Farmer's Market vendors roast green chilis, I buy a bag of fresh roasted Anaheim or poblano chilis. I peel and dice one chili and mix it with minced garlic. I spread it between 2 slices of American cheese so that the gooey, melty cheese will trap the bits of chili/garlic goodness. I eat it with a chopped salad of avocado, cucumber, tomato, onion, sometimes fresh corn, or bell peppers, whatever I have, or bought at the market. No dressing, just a little salt and pepper.

My second favorite is a vegetarian sandwich that I only get during Lent. It probably defeats the purpose because I like this sandwich so much, it really isn't a sacrifice. A coffe shop in town that bakes their own bread sells it and it is all about the bread, the yummiest honey wheat rolls I've ever tasted. It has provolone, very thinly sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper and onions, avocado, sprouts, mayo and dijon mustard. Mm-mm-mm!

I've been having a hankering for the greatest hot dog in the world: a Bajan Dog. I spent a week in Barbados a few years ago and ate these every night after the bars closed. I always try and re-create them but never get close.

On the bun:
    Ketchup
    Mayo
    Crushed BBQ potato chips

Hot dog

On top of dog:
    Mustard
    Relish
    Sauerkraut
    Parmesan cheese
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2189498;
    I've been having a hankering for the greatest hot dog in the world: a Bajan Dog. I spent a week in Barbados a few years ago and ate these every night after the bars closed. I always try and re-create them but never get close.

On the bun:
    Ketchup
    Mayo
    Crushed BBQ potato chips

Hot dog

On top of dog:
    Mustard
    Relish
    Sauerkraut
    Parmesan cheese
    Ohhhh...that sounds yummy!!!!!!! I've eaten chips on sandwiches but I've never thought about eating them on a hot dog!!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

My favorite sandwich comes from my childhood--a very simple affair of lettuce, bologna, American cheese, and mayo on white bread. Mom called them "crunchy munchy sandwiches," and for my money they can't be beat.

There is a family story that sort of goes with crunchy-munchies. Mom had some bologna, and wasn't sure if it was still good. She gave a piece to the cat, who took it and buried it in the litter box. When Mom told the story years later, I asked her what she did with the rest of the bologna. Without missing a beat, she said she gave it to me since I wasn't nearly as picky as the cats
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2189498;

On the bun:
    Ketchup
    Mayo
    Crushed BBQ potato chips

Hot dog

On top of dog:
    Mustard
    Relish
    Sauerkraut
    Parmesan cheese

Oh, this brings back memories. About 25 years ago there was a hot dog vendor in Key West called TNT Hots. Best hotdogs with this mustard relish on them that I have NEVER had anywhere else. And fantastic fries. The combo was hotdog, fries and coke for $2. Cheap for Key West even back then. The guy in the truck looked like Dan Akroyd's twin brother too.

Another great sandwich from Key West (I have now posted 3 from there and wait, one more: an AUTHENTIC cuban sandwich, pressed in a toaster press. OMG, good!)
    this other one was called a mullietta (not sure of the spelling). But a piece of fresh cuban bread was hollowed out, filled with picadilla (a cuban dish of ground beef, olives, spices and other really good stuff), the bread plug put back in, rolled in crumbs and deep fried.

OH, I miss Key West. And notice, I have posted nothing about the great seafood or conch fritters you can get there, only the sandwiches. The other food is for another thread. 20 odd years ago, we were always there this time of year. A whole big group of us went and stayed at a friends mom's house (she always went elsewhere for Christmas) right after Christmas and spent New Year's Eve on Duval Street which was a BLAST! And the mullietta sandwich place was right across the street from my friend's mom's house where we stayed. I really want a mullietta and a real cuban sandwich right now. And a thick cuban coffee to go with it!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread