+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **spoiler Threads**

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

**spoiler Threads**

Well, this has been sorta bugging me for a while now and I didn't know where to get a general consensus or where to start a rebellion.
    So I decided to start this thread in hopes that maybe something can be resolved, or maybe I can better understand it...

Lately I've been noticing in the Survivor threads, that after a while the thread will turn into a "**MAJOR SPOILER, *POSSIBLE SPOILER, *COULDA BEEN A SPOILER, *MIGHT BE A SPOILER thread.

I love watching Survivor and I LOVE to talk about the show, but with every thread turning into a spoiler, I am avoiding going into Survivor threads at all. Sometimes there are threads that aren't marked as such, but once I enter and start reading there are posts from certain people, or just random people talking about what Sucks has said, or what blah blah blah has said, and it's a total spoiler, hence the change.

It hasn't been so spoily in the past, or has it?
    Is there anything that can be changed so that every thread isn't "spoiled"?
    Can there be a new Topic Thread made exclusively for spoilers?

The only reason why I'm bringing this up is because I really can't go into the Survivor areas cause there are wayyyy too many posts telling me what's going to happen. I know that it's very hard to monitor all posts, and by no means am I requesting a doubled work load for moderators... I just hope that there is some sort of discussion we can have that might come up with a great idea, solution, or better understanding.

I don't think I'm alone....?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar

FORT Fogey
    I agree, i've stopped surfing on the Survivor forum b/c of this, i occiasionally go in and read, and what do you know, there's a spoiler in every single damn thread!

In other Survivor boards they have a completely seperate Survivor Spoilers forum and it works out quite nicely, that would be a great addition to this site.

We keep trying that and people keep ignoring it and posting wherever they please. If we get a report about a spoiler in a non-spoiler thread, we will erase it just as fast as we can. Its hard sometimes keeping up with all the posts. There is nothing I like better than to delete someones post cause its spoiler info in the wrong thread. The only thread thats allowed spoiler is the thread for the current nights show and then we don't like for spoiler stuff to be included till after midnight eastern time for the courtesy of the west coast viewers. Any other thread that contains spoiler info should be titled *Spoiler* so that surfers that don't want to read it can avoid it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I forgot to add.. just go into Survivor now and count the marked spoiler threads ... they dominate!
    Then, go and count how many times you read a "spoiler" post in the non-spoiler threads.

Frustrating!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Well I think there are two type of spoilers:

1) The thursday night discussion of the episode, which only concerns the episode itself and would spoil the show for any west coasters or people who have yet to see the episode.

2) Game-wide spoilers that could be posted at any time and that discuss what sites like Survivor Sucks etc... are saying is out next/will make the final two.

The first kind is easy to control, and generally does not generate any problems. People generally understand to keep the episode's discussion into that spoilers thread until everyone (in the US) has seen it.

However the second kind has been a big problem for me and I think others. You will see spoiler summaries that only last one sentence in the most random places in non-spoiler threads and it just irritates me everytime I do. Sometimes some posters will talk about the general strategy of the game and all of a sudden say "Well the spoilers are all pointing to so-and-so being out next anyways..." and BAHM too late I've already read what amounts to a general summary of what the spoilers predict.

Spoiler readers sometimes even betray what the spoilers generally summarize through their tones without being explicit. For example I saw one poster open his post with something that looked like this: "I really don't want (some Survivor) to go. I wish we would be given a good reason why he has to go. Oh well." Even though that doesn't explicitly say who's going next, it's easy to deduce.

By the way, I am not blaming spoiler readers in any way, it's just second nature to associate everything you know with what subject you're talking about.

Sadly this problem is very hard to solve as some people absolutely don't mind browsing through spoilers, while others (like me) shy away from it. And so there could be very stimulating discussions by spoiler readers - discussion that maybe have little to do with spoilers, but will inadvertendly give away spoiler information through no fault of their own.

I don't even think a seperate Spoiler forum would solve it either. Over at sucks I thought it was safe for me to navigate the regular non-spoiler forum but have stopped doing that as I nevertheless did find spoiler information all over it.

As a result I have stopped navigating this site's Survivor board because I would rather miss out on the great discussions than have another episode spoiled by knowing who gets kicked out next.

I am not placing fault on anyone, I am just noting the unfortunate phenomenon (at least to me).
    Last edited by Zaius; 11-20-2003 at 07:17 PM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

The forum can be cleaned up with your help...When you run across a spoiler post in a non-spoiler thread, just click the little "report post" link in the lower left corner. That will alert all of the mods of the post (and your reason for reporting it), and the first one to get it will take care of it, quickly.

No, we can't be everywhere at once, but with your help, we can keep the forum clean of that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    The forum can be cleaned up with your help...When you run across a spoiler post in a non-spoiler thread, just click the little "report post" link in the lower left corner. That will alert all of the mods of the post (and your reason for reporting it), and the first one to get it will take care of it, quickly.

No, we can't be everywhere at once, but with your help, we can keep the forum clean of that kind of thing.
    What makes spoilers uniquely different from others forms of reportable "mis-posts" is that once you've seen a particular spoiler once, for example one that says that all he spoiler sources are quasi-unanimously saying who will get to the final two, you've lost some of the surprise the show might have given you, if you had discovered everything through the show itself. A single one can corrupt your enjoyment, while others forms of reportable "abuses" will only corrupt your enjoyment of the board when present in larger numbers.
    -- Unknown

But if you stumble across one, and say "wow, I shouldn't have read that", you can report it and have it removed. Sure, it doesn't help YOU, but it helps the hundreds that follow you.

I suppose that is the only policy you can have in regards to spoilers. I was just articulating why I personally take a different stance regarding spoilers as compared to, say, spam. Reporting each will not help me, and will help the others that follow me, however the difference lies in the fact that after having reported that spam, my future enjoyment of the board or of the show will not be affected. And so that's why I personally would rather stay out of the board. My loss.

But I agree that there is no other way to work against missplaced spoilers other than reporting them.
    Last edited by Zaius; 11-20-2003 at 07:53 PM.
    -- Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast