+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 75 FirstFirst ... 155556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: What Creeps you out?

Open Casket Funerals

Clowns creep the heck out of me.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by britty05 View Post
    Clowns creep the heck out of me.
    Apparently that's a really common phobia.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I hate, loathe and despise daddy long leg spiders...they just give me the heebie-jeebies.
    My son is terrified of bees or wasps of any kind....he will go halfway around the house trying to escape a bee that may be flying even remotely in his eyesight!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by MidniteLace View Post
    Open Casket Funerals
    I'm with you on that one. It's just plain creepy. We don't have many open casket funerals in Europe, so that particular tradition seems strange to me. Especially with the make-up and all. Ew.

britty05 and PWS: Clowns are terrifying! Admittedly, my problem with clowns didn't start until I read Stephen King's It at a much too tender age, but still. There's definitely something creepy about clowns, even when they are not Pennywise the Clown. And yes, it is a very common phobia. Both Johnny Depp and Billy Bob Thornton (two of my favourite actors, by the way) are apparently petrified of clowns.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    I hate, loathe and despise daddy long leg spiders...they just give me the heebie-jeebies.
    My son is terrified of bees or wasps of any kind....he will go halfway around the house trying to escape a bee that may be flying even remotely in his eyesight!
    I don't like spiders of any description. I had a visitor from Arizona here for a few days and she told me a creepy story. She said that one night a huge, hairy, black spider was crawling across her kitchen and she stepped on it. When she did, she said that what appeared to be about a thousand tiny spiders just started scurrying all over her kitchen! Now that would freak me out so that I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep in that house that night.

Where I live those huge waterbugs are really common. We don't have them because our house is high off the ground, but my son had a ton of them. My husbands cousin told me that she went into her bedroom the other day and a monster one was crawling on her telephone. She called her husband to kill it and he (a real clown) asked if she thought it was trying to "bug" her phone.

By the way those things you get, that plug into an electrical socket, really seem to deter bugs in the house. My son has them in every room and now we only occasionally see a bug, usually dead.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I agree. Waterbugs do freak me out! They are the nastiest, ugliest things I've ever seen. Hate crickets, too. Nasty, nasty, nasty!!! Can't stand the noise that comes with stomping on them!!! This is going to sound stupid...but I always scream when I step on any bug so that I can't hear/feel the nasty crunching noise! And I Don't Want To See The Result!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a spider phobia that is reinforced from time to time when I see one descending from the ceiling as if it's on a mission to get me. However, I have gotten a little sympathetic over the years and if I can get any bug in the house, spiders included, onto something and put it safely outdoors, then I feel better. Except for roaches - those nasty creatures never get a stay of execution.

City grates on the sidewalk. I have this irrational fear that a) they (and therefore I) might fall in, b) someone is down there looking up my skirt, or c) someone might reach their hand up from underneath.

I said it was irrational.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Alligators, crocodiles, lizards, snakes... basically any kind of reptile. I went to the zoo with a young relative yesterday, and as we approached the 'gators, I was hysterical. I was hiding several feet away, literally shaking, begging her please not to tap the glass, because I suddenly seemed to recall a bunch of newspaper articles (or was it a horror novel Stephen King forgot to write?) about alligators running rampant inside of a zoo after some Jackass-wannabe teenage boy had tapped on the glass window. The recent attacks in Fort Lauderdale didn't help, of course, even though I'm half a world away. The mere fact that I've been to Fort Lauderdale is enough for me to feel all shivery whenever I read about alligator attacks. I had to pet three ponies before I returned to normal. When it comes to insects, though, I'm the epitome of cool. My man is terrified of spiders, so I've been known to kill a spider or 20 in my time. I don't even flinch while doing so. Same goes for moths. But reptiles I can't even watch wrestling with Steve Irwin without bursting into tears. I think it's the fact that they look like pre-historic creatures that really gets to me. Ew.

Any other reptile phobes out there? Like I said, I can handle pretty much everything else, but reptiles freak me out big time.
    Geek,
    I live in Florida and believe it or not, we go months at a time without seeing alligators. The problem with them attacking recently is that A). it was mating season and they do get more aggressive then and B) idiots feed them and they lose their fear of humans and then in their pea sized brains equate humans with food and attack.

There are signs, warnings on tv in and in the papers DO NOT FEED ALLIGATORS, but as 1000 people a day move into this state, we can't educate them fast enough to NOT FEED A DANGEROUS ANIMAL. You'd think it would be common sense, but there you go, we all know that most people lack that gene.

So don't worry about Ft. Lauderdale or any other city in Florida. Alligators do not roam the streets looking for victims. I've known people that came to Florida for a week on vacation and never saw a one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread