+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Scrapbooking

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I will like to get the habit soon of keeping a scrapbook soon... I like the idea...

FORT Fogey

I'd love to scrapbook, besides the fact that I have no time or anythin to document. But when I get older I would really like to do it. I like to watch the HSN when they have arts and crafty things and scrapbook things.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    I'm actually contemplating using my granddaughter as my next av.
    So you're that old! I'm shocked.

Ok, bumping this up to see if any of the scrapbookers here can help me with a couple things.
    1. Serendipity squares...( http://www.scrapjazz.com/resources/article_33.shtml ) Has anyone tried these, I tried making some and mine look awful. I was wondering if there was any trick to it that I can't figure out just by reading the web page.

2. Using chalk on pages. Anyone try this. Any brand you suggest, I want to try it but they are expensive and I don't want to spend alot of money on something I'll hate.

3. My husband told me to go buy some equipment as the girls have started scrapping with me. I only have some scissors and a couple of punches. I'm thinking of getting Creative Memories circle and oval makers. Any other suggestions?
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Fogey
    NLMCP, the creative memories stuff is great but over priced imo, I get a lot of it at walmart and our hobby lobby if you have one... Chalk is good but after you do it,, before you put your pics on the page, very very lightly mist your page w/a little hairspray the can kind. Also make sure especially on those pages you use a page protector.
    If you have a good local scrapbooking place a lot of times you can go to a Sat or Fri night scrapbooking session and use their tools and others as well it is fun to share and not have to buy everything.

I haven't done the other you mentioned it is maybe too busy for me and I get so stuck on all the fun papers!

FORT Newbie
    Wow! You guys are right up my alley! I love to scrapbook (well shop for things to scrapbook!!) I have heaps and heaps of supplies - I'm especially a sucker for cute stickers and always buy way too many...

To actually find the time to sit down and scrap is the hard thing, I am half way through two albums - one is my Honeymoon holiday album and the other is my little boy's hospital book. I was planning to do a book for each year of my son's life but the hospital one is already taking up a book on its own!!

I also heard this great idea about doing a Christmas book, where you scrap all your Christmas' in the one book and then each year on the 1 December you bring it out as your coffee table book for guests to flick through. I really like that idea and am trying to bring myself to sit down and begin it in time for next Christmas...

Lots of plans but so little time... and especially with all the Reality TV on, how will I ever get it done?

My best friend scrapbooked and I drolled over her creations. Together we made our favorite teacher a scrapbook (made her cry) and for my birthday she got me some supplies. I have done 3 pages, its hard to get me to sit down and do it. When i do do it i like the outcome. I got to ACMOORE they have everything anyone needs. You should see their stickers like for every occacion

FORT Fogey
    we have a friday all night crop at a store here I love it because they let us use all their supplies and if you need to buy something it is right there. Also, it is great to see others and get help and ideas!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I'm leaving on Thursday night for a 3 day cropfest. I plan on about 30 pages and 6 hours sleep in 3 days. I can't wait!!! My husband is a gem

Answers to your questions nlmcp:
    1. I found the trick to serendipity squares is filling the entire page (or portion of a page that you plan to cut - I find 8x11 works best) and leaving NO SPACE WHITE. At first, I had some squares that ended up having a lot of white or blank areas on them. When you're gluing everything down, place lots of stuff on top of each other. Remember you are cutting stuff into small squares, so you want a lot of it to overlap. And use lots of textures (mulberry, patterned paper, cardstock, gems) all in the same color scheme or theme (I did some Christmas ones with red and green mulberry, gold patterned paper and cardstock and some gold fibers). Make sure the page is completely filled up with your stuff before you actually cut them into squares. Hope that helps!

2. I don't think there's a particular brand of chalk that's better. I have used both "designing chalks" from AC Moore craft store and the chalks from Stampin Up. Both fine. The best thing I've found for actually applying it is called the cotton picker!! It's on this page for reference: http://www.codyscrapbookcompany.com/tools.html
    It basically holds a tiny pom pom of cotton and makes it easy to blend the chalks. Surprisingly, all cotton balls are not the same! So some of the ones that work perfectly well for removing eyeliner suck for applying chalk! (that was one sentence I thought I'd never say )

3. The most important supplies are GOOD scissors (cutterbee makes a nice pair - about $8 - WalMart carries them now) and a good paper trimmer. I have the circle and oval cutters from CM, but find I really don't use them like I used to. I don't trim my pictures into circles or ovals as much anymore. I stick to square (or straight edge) and you can achieve that with a good paper cutter. Fiskars makes a regular 12x12 paper cutter that's nice and a swing arm one (it's blue) that is nice. Remember, even if you used 8x11 albums (or any other size besides 12x12), still get a 12x12 trimmer, because if you have 12x12 paper you like, you won't be able to trim it with a smaller trimmer.

I'm getting so excited for this weekend - I just took 14 (!!) rolls of film in Disneyworld and I think that's what I'll work on (even though I am over a year behind on my other stuff!)

Hope this helps! PM me anytime if you have any questions or need to bounce some ideas. It helps, especially when you're stuck in a rut!

Wow on the 3 day crop, I want to do one of those so bad, I've done the all day ones and many Friday night ones with my sister in law at these CM consultant (which is why I have no equipment at home and am thinking of getting the CM circle stuff because I'm used to using it) But never gone for a whole weekend, is there a web page that advertises them? Thanks for the idea of the 12/12 cutter, I have a 12X12 album but the page protectors aren't true to size and I do have to trim a lot (writing out my list here.....Micheal's is supposed to have a 40% off coupon today and my local scrap book store is having a super bowl sale. May have to spend a little more money today. )
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread