+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Scrapbooking

So I finished one scrapbook a couple of days ago and now I have started another one.

This one is a little more fun and has been a long time coming. I am making a scrapbook of all my ticket stubs, autographs and anything else that might relate to reality tv. I have been working on it for the last couple of hours and so far I am enjoying it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I have one scrapbook almost completely done (just one more page left to complete). It's pics of me when I was little, my family, my friends and several pictures of my karaoke nights! I've started another scrapbook as well of all my travel stuff. I have pics in there from our trip (me and my husband) to VA in 2002 to visit some friends and then pics and boarding passes from our trip to TX this past April. More pics will fill the book as we travel more. We try and travel once a year. I'm also planning on making one of pics of my baby nephew shown in my avatar. That pic is when he was just weeks old. (2 weeks) He is now 6 months. He'll be 7 months on the 18th and I've gotten so many precious pictures of him as I take care of him. While the 2 scrapbooks I'm working on now are plain and simple, I now know how to make it more elaborate so I will start doing that with my travel book and then continue with my nephew book. If anyone has any neat ideas for the baby one, let me know!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I Is Stephanie
    I never really wanted to scrapbook before, I thought it was too messy and time-comsuming, and I was less than sure I would be happy wih the way that it came out.

Then, the other day, I was in an arts-and-srafts store, and I had a vision. I get these 'visions' alot, like when something really good or really bad is about to happen... I suddenly think "Wouldn't it be crazy if Mr. U came back from February break engaged?" I guess something bad is about to happen, becuase I thought "What if I want to show someone something and can't find it?" I dismissed the idea as totally crazy and started to walk out the door. Then there's a hazy period of time, and the next thing I know, I'm walking towards my mom with my arms full of Scrapbooking stuff, and asking her if I can start a scrapbook.

She thought it's too expensive and that I don't have nearly enough souveniers and photos to make one, but I think she's wrong.

So, to all you scrapbookers: What would you say is the most you've ever spent to complete 1 scrapbook, and how many pages did it have upon completion? Are you ever unhappy with the way your page has turned out when you're done with it? Is it half as messy as they always make it look? And do you think I'm totally crazy after reading the 2nd paragraph of this post?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2193995;
    So, to all you scrapbookers: What would you say is the most you've ever spent to complete 1 scrapbook, and how many pages did it have upon completion? Are you ever unhappy with the way your page has turned out when you're done with it? Is it half as messy as they always make it look? And do you think I'm totally crazy after reading the 2nd paragraph of this post?
    Stephanie, back when I used only Creative Memories albums, pages etc, it was very pricey. My album alone cost $50 and that was without the pages...just the basic album itself. My album had 50 pages in it. I would guess that altogether the album cost me $120, possibly a little more.

However, the albums that I buy now cost about $12 and come with pages They are at Target and really nice, yet much more affordable for me on my budget.

I am normally not unhappy with my pages, but I am a perfectionist and don't put anything down until I am totally happy with it. I have quite a few page planners that I sometimes use to set up a page --- but normal I use my own ideas.

As for messy...do you mean the work or the actual pages? The work can be messy if you are using lots of glitter, markers, papers and other special things. The pages...it depends on the person...generally speaking mine are simplistic in nature. I have friend that journal on their pages so it is a scrapbook/photo album/journal all in one --- for me that looks a little cluttered and I don't like the idea of people reading my personal thoughts. It all depends on your own style.

I started my first scrapbook when I was 17 and have loved it ever since. Your second paragraph sounds a lot like me.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I cannot admit to what I spend, as I feel it might incriminate me

However, I enjoy trying new techniques, which affects my stash - which continues to grow. I currently have 8 12x12 books complete and am going strong. The album alone is $20 and then add embellishments, paper and film developing and it gets pretty pricey. It's my only vice, so I don't worry about it. I also view it as a hobby (versus getting everything in a book for organizational purposes), so that's how I justify it (pretty sick, huh? )

I just bought a new Disney album for my trip so I can be prepared when I return to go crazy.

I just finished an 8x8 gift album and I would say it ended up costing about $50 or so to make and it had 20 pages in it.

MRD
    Scrapbooking can be an expensive hobby, BUT the memories you preserve are PRICELESS and having them all in one book to look at instead of digging through boxes is worth it.

I have completed over 40 albums in 13 years and we look at them a lot. Many of the people represented in the pages are gone now and having those memories preserved means that while the people are gone, they live on in the pages and in our hearts forever.

To me its not whether you can afford it, its whether can you afford not to do it for yourself and your family.

My albums are filled with pictures of my child and her grandparents and great grandmother who are gone now and with stories about them and she treasures them and they show her how very much she was loved by them. To me no amount of money can be put on something so precious.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I Is Stephanie
    Wow... that's deep guys... thanks.

I definitely thikn that I'm going to try to start one, I've got a couple of amazing once-in-a-lifetime events coming up soon (Like my Nickelback concert!), and I want to have a way to remember that day forever, so that when my friends are 100 and I'm 101, we can say to ourselves, 'remember how we thought that Breaking Benjamin was a hard rock band back in 2007?'

And my grandparents... well, we'll say that Grandpa isn't as young as he used to be. My dad wants to make a video of him talking about experiences and traditions that his family brought over from the old country (Italia, ya'll...), but I think that it not only won't last as long as a scrapbook, but will get damaged when he transfers it from a video cassette to a DVD to a high-definition DVD to a BLU-ray disc and so on....

Wow, I suddenly have like, 5 ideas of different scrapbooks I could make, for myself and family. I KNEW that those visions aren't just in my head! You guys have been a ton of help to me, and have inspired me to make my first book: "100 Years In America: 1906-2006"- a chronicle of the last century. Well, not that name, but something like that idea. It would start when my great-grandpa signed his name on the Ellis Island documents to this past July, when we celebrated my Grandparents being married for 60 years!

Thanks guys!
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2194949;
    "100 Years In America: 1906-2006"- a chronicle of the last century. Well, not that name, but something like that idea.!
    Funny you bring this up. MY grandmother was born in 1906 and would have been 100 last Nov. She died at 93. I think about ALL the AMAZING stuff that happened in her lifetime and I want to do a scrapbook about her and include all this.

In her lifetime: women were finally allowed to vote. American fought in 5 wars. Antibiotics were discovered. A cure for polio was discovered. Cars became the major form of transportation. Flight happened, then jet flight, then rocket flight. Man landed on the moon. Radio, tv, talking movies, VCR's, DVD's, CD's all were invented. Computers went from HUGE government only devices to in our homes. Telephone, electricity became more common. Life expectancies raised due to better medicine. Organ transplants were done for the first time. And SO much more.
    The 20th century was a fantastic time to be alive. What a lot happened then and to know that someone in my family was a witness to it all. AMAZING!

My scrapbooks will tell my child and my grandchildren who I was, what it was like to live when I did and preserve pictures of people we loved who have passed.
    AND use your own handwriting as much as possible. Even if you don't like it. It's part of who you are and one day someone will treasure it. I don't have much that was handwritten by my mother, but I have stuff from my dad. Just seeing their handwriting comforts me.

A scrapbook is a document of your life and its changes. I look back at my scrapbooks from high school and college and can't believe the person I was then. And the fashions and my hair styles. It's hilarious, but its my history and its important to ME.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Stephanie that sounds like a great idea.

I use stencils more than my own handwriting as that is what I feel more comfortable with. My first scrapbook was of a mission trip to Panama and my other, so far, are of my college years. Right now I am working on a Reality TV scrapbook as I have stuff all over everywhere
    -Bono

I Is Stephanie
    Thanks, JLuvs.

A reality TV scrapbook? That sounds awesome! What shows are you including?

Oooh, all this talk of scrapbooks is making me want to start one NOW... but I don't have any supplies. I guess I'll improvise until I can convince my dad that I need to do this. I think he'll really like the idea of a family history one, we all know a ton about how my family came to be in America, and the most valuable possion my aunt has isn't the huge house, or the expensive kitchen, or anything expensive. It's her copy of the Ellis Island documentation that my great-grandparents signed 101 years ago. To get in in a book would mean alot to her I think.

+ Reply to Thread