+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What kind of bar do you like, and what's your favorite drink?

What kind of bar do you like, and what's your favorite drink?

Moving this discussion from the Thanksgiving thread...

1) What's your preference on a type of drinking establishment?

2) What's your favorite drink when you're there?

For me, I like our local American Legion post. My aunt bartends there part time, and I'm slowly getting all my friends to join. The bar seating is extremely comfortable, the music is good, the atmosphere is good, and they've got cheap drinks ($1.50 for beer, $1.60 for mixed drinks) and a 25-cent pool table. All for $15/year. Not a bad deal.

When I want to play NTN trivia, I head over to our local JJ Finnegan's. It's a restaurant/bar setup, which I don't like nearly as much now that they've re-designed the bar area.

My preference for drinks is in this order: Coors Light, Bacardi & Coke, and Cuervo 1800 tequila.

FORT Fogey
    I like the "hang out" type of bar not too packed w/college kids and not real noisy, sort of beer in a bottle type place. Then I like beer in a bottle.

I also like the extreme opposite, the upscale also not too noisy high dollar drink place. Then I like a cosmopolitan or appletini or good wine. We have a place here that has great wines lining the walls it is sort of old library feel, exotic heads on the wall, huge fireplace that is nice.

a kareokee bar is my favorite, and i dont drink anymore but i do love mud slides
    and shots

I like a bar where I can sit. That's always a big stipulation of mine.

One of my favorite bars here is called The Good Life. It's very "loungy" with dark red everywhere and live jazz. There's also no cover which is a plus and they have an extensive martini menu. I love a good cosmopolitan.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    My favorite place to go is a dance club. My friend and I love the loud music and the crowd. We drink Bicarddi O3. When we aren't there, its a local bar usually with a DJ.

Before I even turned 21, I was tired of clubs. I get all cranky when it takes me half an hour to buy a drink. Once in a very great while I'll go to a club called Neo (Which is *rumored* to be the inspiration for Neo's name in the Matrix. I doubt it's true.), but for the most part I'm all about the dive bars. If they have a dart board and a jukebox, I'm happy. If there's an old toothless 70 year old woman behind the bar who calls me "sugar" and "honey", I'm happier. If they wouldn't know what an appletini was in a million years, I'm happiest. I'm not big on trendy places.

As for what I drink, I'm simple. Jack Daniels. With or without Coke, depending on my mood.

i like more of the dive- a small untrendy bar in a relatively safe location (this is actually asking a lot in dallas now). my current fave is a place called The Fallout. it's just a long skinny room with a lit up bar that is owned by friends of a friend. they have a couple of computers set up that you can surf on and they are on a wireless network, so people could bring their laptops in and be online. there's a plasma screen tv above the bar that is showing pretty much whatever you want to watch - from sports to scooby doo.

the music is all over the place. one minute you're listening to the latest outkast album then the next sinatra is crooning to you. it's such a small place, that you walk in and you either know or recognize everyone from the last time you were there... and the bartenders and owners know you by name. first round is on the house for my friends and me, then it's happy hour from 7-9, and $1.50 calls from 9-10. through out the night, the bartenders will just make a shot and put it in front of you and will drink it with ya - and those are free.

plus, there's a really nice restaurant next door whose kitchen is connected to the fallout's back room. so you can order off their fancy schmancy menu and their employees with walk it over to you through the back room. i LOVE that part of this bar!!

my current fave drink is a white vanilla cosmopolitan (name provided by chiro last night) and it has stoli vanilla vodka, triple sec and cranberry juice. and it's too die for.

if i want wine, i like a nice fruity chardonnay. kendall jackson works just fine.

if i'm in the mood for beer, i like michelob ultra.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    i tend to favor the smaller dive bars... my all time fav is in Chicago (where i lived a few years ago, corner of Southport and Racine general area)... typical corner dive bar but they had a two lane bowling alley in the back- but you had to ahve someone setting up the pins, and roll the ball back down the ball return- which was always interesting after a few beers... grab a pitcher of beer and go back and set up pins for awhile (good excuse to actually get to know someone).

Yuengling is the beer of choice, dirty martinis if i'm out with friends, and jack if i am home alone, er i mean out and getting really crazy...

I'm all about the dive bars. I used to live in a small town where such a bar was two blocks from our apartment. It was an old house, it had NO atmosphere (or rather, the atmosphere was one of spilled beer and cigarette burns) but they had a pool table and a jukebox, I knew practically everybody and the bartender always knew what I was drinking (usually screwdrivers, although I went through a Sex on the Beach spell; that bartender made great ones). The crowd there ranged from teeny-bopper college kids to middle-aged. It was a great place. But it's closed now.
    While I occasionally like to go to a club to go dancing, mostly I'm still a divey-neighborhood bar kind of girl. Here in Richmond you have to beware; you can easily find yourself in a trendy place with loud music, overpriced drinks and scads of look-alike 25-year-old girls in identical black pants, and guys in identical khakis. It's like fraternity mixers.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

i used to go out dancing a lot and my fave bar then was called red, which was part of a bar called clearview. it's 4 bars in 1. clearview played live music, red played techno, blind lemon played pop/dance/hiphop/old school and art bar was just a sit down and chat bar with a dj spinning whatever. i loved this place! knew all the bouncers and bartenders and got in free. loved it... but then it changed ownership and last time i went back, red had a booth and a juke box. i couldn't believe it. you used to not be able to walk through red and now it's totally empty. bad management decision. so now, when i want to go dancing... i just don't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast