+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: What kind of bar do you like, and what's your favorite drink?

Molly, were you researching who would tell you you shouldn't be drinking? What were the informal results?

It was part of a study where they trained alcohol servers how to discourage pregnant women from drinking. There's no law against it, but bar owners can set a policy of no-service if they want, or individual servers can just say they're uncomfortable, or hand you a brochure on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

The training was done a year ago, and they've done 4 rounds of "pseudo-patron" visits. I had to act like I was already a little drunk (so they couldn't say "it's only one drink", then if they served me once I had to get rid of it (not drink it) and order again. Of the 36 bars that I visited only four turned me down. I generally got served with no comment, but often got a lot of dirty looks or the waitresses would all talk about me in the corner.

yeah molly!!! you left us hanging!

i am wanting to know the results as well!

oops! you beat me to it! very interesting, molly.

It was really interesting, although a little discouraging. I tried to really reinforce the ones who did say something so they would know that it was okay. "OH my god, what was I thinking?! I just want a coke - THANK YOU for saying something!!

I'm glad that you did a study like that, Molly. I hate to get too far off topic (John encouraged it though ) but when I was working there was a girl there that was pregnant the same time as me. She smoked like a fiend and would go out drinking after work (two things I stopped doing as soon as I suspected I was pregnant). I never said anything to her, but I-was-horrified. Hopefully you might change some attitudes.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I like the Toasted Almond or Frosted Toasted Almond. Okay, you and laugh now. I know people who don't think that's a real drink.

I prefer a lively place where we can laugh but, I also want to hear the person next to me without yelling and getting a horse throat.

The Fort Bar
    http://www.fortbar.com/memberjoin.asp
    Let's all join.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Geez Jewelsy, you could at least say "Hi Unk" to me when you see me out! :mad:
    Awww Unk. I'm gonna play the blind card here and just say I didn't see ya Needless to say, next time I'm at a bar at 7:00 a.m., I'll be lookin' out for you

"Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567