+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What kind of bar do you like, and what's your favorite drink?

I have to say, I love alcoholic coffee drinks. They are really good after a meal. I could never drink more than one, though. It's kind of like dessert for me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I love anything with Irish cream in it, like shots of Buttery Nipple or China White, for example. I'm not a great drinker, as you can probably tell.

Ye Olde Brunswick House (or Brunny's for short) is our usual dive here in Toronto. But Tonic is our nightclub of choice. Not mine, though...Brunny's is run on sweaty college adrenaline 24/7 and even the posher Tonic is too raucous for me on Thursdays. I prefer to hang at Red Room - it's closer to where I live, it's got a casual ambiance, and it's a perfect mix of pub/restaurant/cafe. Definitely more up my alley. Too bad most of my friends don't think so.

bars: Bars should be centered around a university... I don't mean that students frequent the bar, but that the bar IS the university. So much creative energy is lost by having to keep the bars off campus.
    (I guess this goes with the article I posted about the 'beer church' http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ad.php?t=20658 in that it uses alcohol in its 'social lubricant' mode for a good thing)

Then again, the Harbor Public House is the only bar on the island, and it has wireless access, so that's cool too.

as for drinks.... Hmm, Vodka martinis, black russians, whiskey sours and tequila sunrises....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I generally like more of a dive bar for fun and I also like pubs.They can be traditional or trendy.I like to be able to talk when I'm out.There's a brew pub I go to and they make a beer called Super G and it has ginger and ginseng in it and it is YUMMY
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    The best bars around here are in Park City (Sundance and Olympics helped) - I prefer the dive bars with live dance music. No upity-ups for me. If the barstool has a back on it - too fru-fru for my taste. Just chill me a couple dozen 1800's and I'm good to go. Pool table's always a welcome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    I have to say, I love alcoholic coffee drinks. They are really good after a meal. I could never drink more than one, though. It's kind of like dessert for me.
    SG, Im a fan of coffee drinks too, like the one I made up and posted on the Thanksgiving party thread. You would love some of the Spanish/Potrugese restaurants that they have her in Newark, NJ where I work. They serve a Spanish coffee that is great. Offhand I can't remember eveything that they put in it, but I know that they top it off with whipped cream and then drizzle some Licor 43 over the top. Its usually served in a big glass about the size of a goldfish bowl. Really good and strong. I've had a few afternoons at work where I had to just hide in my office and hope no one comes to ask me anything after ending lunch with one of those.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Lucy, that makes me want to say a word about fellow drinkers. If you want to shoot pool, hang out, and talk to much like me and Lucy, then you're cool If you want to get all weepy and talk about how nobody likes you, or get all violent and start smashing bottles, I don't want you hanging out with me
    But nobody DOES like me...

Wait, I think that made sense.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I'm partial to dive bars. My only requirements are good beer on tap and a good jukebox (doesn't have to be loud, just have good music). I also like a good bartender who gives you a buyback every now and then, although, I think they've made that illegal in NY now. The bartender also needs know how to pour a pint of Guinness the right way. I like drinking different beers from around the world and the country so if a bar has an extensive selection its a plus for me. (note - dives usually don't have much of a selection but what can you do)

Always helpful to add to the ambiance of one of these places is an old man sitting in the corner of the bar drinking scotch out of a pint glass who keeps calling you Bill regardless of what your name really is or if you even told him.

Back when I was single and used to go to the NYC a bit I like the bar Down the Hatch on West 4th St in the village. Good beer, good wings and your feet stuck to the floor. What more could you ask for?

That being said, now that I'm married with kids, its rare that I get go out out to a bar. My local beer distributor has a pretty good selection though, so I usually head there and pick up somthing for home. Besides, I don't know about other states, but in NY they've lowered the BAC limit for DWI so low that I'm pretty sure if I watch a beer commercial on TV and then get in my car I can be arrested for DWI. In the past I've been very, very lucky with that and I don't want to push my luck now.

ETA- dart board is a big plus. I love playing darts.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    The type with people hanging out on barstools since 7:00 a.m.
    Geez Jewelsy, you could at least say "Hi Unk" to me when you see me out! :mad:
    I'm more of a local hang out type of bar person. I don't have a bar of "my own" like I used to. About 2 years ago I was hanging out at a Hooters near my restaurant. Stopped in one Sunday on my way home to catch the end of a NASCAR race and Allison the barmaid was great. She was a school teacher working there on weekends and during the summer. . Got to be one of the regulars. It became a Sunday ritual for a couple of my co-workers. She quit and got married and I quit going in. Give me a cold Killians and I'm a happy camper.
    By the way Jewelsy, is this the bar in Jerome you were talking about?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Unklescott; 11-18-2003 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    About 2 years ago I was hanging out at a Hooters near my restaurant.
    I used to go to Hooters with my husband and his friends occasionally when we went to college. Their wings are really good but I think they charge too much for what you get because of the 'ambiance'. I was never offended by the idea of Hooters but we eventually stopped going because the other guys would get in trouble. I wasn't too upset about not going anymore, though, because a couple of times we were there, two things kept happening that I found irritating.
    1.) Seceral times, a women sitting close to our table complained loudly about how she found the whole thing sexist and disgusting. Hello, did you read the sign on the door before you came in? Just go somewhere else. :rolleyes Besides, the clothes they wear there aren't much worse than what they wear in most bar and grills nowadays.
    2) Some guy would be agressively hitting on the waitresses and saying nasty things to them. The guys seemed to be worse in direct proportion to how large a group they had with them. The larger the group, the more obnoxious the guy would act. Just because a woman has to dress provocatively for a job, boys, it doesn't mean she is dressing provocatively for you. Besides, any chance you *might* have had with her went out the window as soon as you made a crass joke about the size of her chest.

ETA- I didn't mean that you would have done either of those two things, Unklescott. Your post just made me think of it. We know you behave yourself
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast