+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What kind of bar do you like, and what's your favorite drink?

joa
    Hey Quinn, I was at Southport Lanes just the other night if that's where you are talking about!...

Wow, I need to open a bar strictly for FORTers. We seem to all have similar 'tastes' in the bar department. I'm also a neighborhood dive kinda gal. I prefer my dives to have a pool table (I seem to think I'm Paul Newman after I've had a few) and a dart board. I'm also with greenie all the way when it comes to seats. Must have seats! NOt just a bar where you can't talk to anyone but the person next to you. Round tables of different sizes so no matter how many people are with you, you can actually talk to all of them.

I like good music, but not too loud, because I become bull**** queen when I've had a few and like to have long thoughtful conversations about really important stuff like "in which order should Star Wars be shown to your kids?", or "reasons you shouldn't mix beer and hard liquor" I could care less if it had a dance floor because by the time I am drunk enough to dance, a lack of a dance floor won't stop me from shaking a tailfeather.

Oh, most importantly, the bathroom must be on the same floor as the bar and have plenty of stalls! The most dangerous night of my life was when I was in a bar where the bathroom was downstairs

I live in Kentucky, but when I go on vacation, my ultimate bar is the kind right on the beach. The kind you can walk in barefoot, sit on the balcony and eat fried shrimp and chicken wings while you watch the surf and the eye candy. A great one in Panama City (just don't go there during spring break! ) is called Salty's by the Sea.

As far as my favorite drink it all depends on the situation. If I'm at a restaurant, I'll sometimes have a foofoo or specialty drink with or after my meal. If I'm at a cool bar by the ocean, I'll sometimes get in the spirit and have a frozen drink. If I'm out with hubby and some friend for a serious night of drinking (and we have a DD or taxi waiting ) I prefer to drink the same thing all night. My usual is bourbon and coke.

Of course, now I have a two year old, so it's not a usual occurrence to go to a bar nowadays. Only on the rare occasions where she is spending the night with grandma AND my husband and I actually have the energy to go somewhere.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer, I think you and I would enjoy drinking together. We sound like we turn into the same kind of drunk.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

In college everyplace we went was packed and everyone looked the same. I like a place that's "old school" or retro without trying to be so; a place that's always been that way. I like to be able to sit too and to carry on a conversation without yelling over the music. Any place that's too trendy or pretentious is out.

For drinks, beer (non-lite) and something with taste. Weiss, unfiltered wheat; sometimes I'll even have an Old Style or two. I'm a big fan of rum drinks and lately I've had some Old-Fashioned's as well. For a bad mood, etc., nothing beats a shot(s) of whiskey, vodka or a Dead Nazi. (but most of that's my younger self talking)
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Lucy, that makes me want to say a word about fellow drinkers. If you want to shoot pool, hang out, and talk to much like me and Lucy, then you're cool If you want to get all weepy and talk about how nobody likes you, or get all violent and start smashing bottles, I don't want you hanging out with me
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

My hubby and I met in our local bar. It's been a regular hangout off and on for years, but now it seems that our entire social life is made up of people from The Brick. The early evening Friday crowd, that is. We recognize that later in the evening, it's a completely different place, and someone else probably thinks of that buddy bar as being theirs. It throws us all off if a group that are not regulars comes in early and takes our buddy bar!
    I keep finding out how incestuous the whole place is. So and so was at a table (not the one her husband was at) crying becuase she realized that she was still in love with a regular who she'd had an affair with when she was married to someone else. It's like relationships move on, but the hangout remains the same.

Anyway, favorite drink used to be margaritas, until it got hot this summer and that seemed too sticky sweet, so I've switched to vodka-tonics.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

It's all about the beer. I can go to almost any bar around if they have a good tap selection. I love all styles of beer from a real heavy flavorful Stout or Porter to the lighter IPAís, Ales and unfiltered Hefs. One of the greatest things about living in the Northwest is the vast number of Microbreweries around me.
    I really care very little about my surroundings when Iím at a bar. I don't go to bars to meet people, when I go to bars, I bring the people I want to be around with me. The music has to be quiet enough to hear the conversations at the table. Itís also a big plus if there is enough TVís in the room to be able to keep an eye on whatever game happens to be on from whatever seat I move to.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    John, your American Legion post sounds great to relax and listen to music and be with friends..

Well, here in San Francisco, we are blessed with a variety of places, dives, trendy spots, old bars that have been here since the 1800's....gay bars galore, tranny spots...

When I'm with my hubby, we go to the 21st Amendment. Its a brewery that looks like some rich persons loft. Its very cozy. The place has massive windows all around. I remember when I first was dating my husband and the place had just opened up. It was raining...they had candles lit everywhere. We sat and at a gorgeous table next to the big window in the front and the rain was pitterpattering outside....It was so romantic. Anyhow..we go there alot for dinner or before ball games (ITs to blocks from PacBell park) I always drink cosmos with vanilla stoli there. The bartender who is dreamy gorgeous makes the best!!

Sometimes after work my Girlfriends (we call each other the Babygirls) we got to The Pig and Whistle or Irelander kinda of divey but cozy and great drinks and cheap. We get off at Midnite..so its kinda nice during the week to go for a drink after work..and no one is around.

When we party we go to The Red Room. Its very very very sexy place...everything is red in the place (hence the name! ) The bartenders where black with cleavage and have this 1940's vibe going. The place is small but great for intimate conversation...

Butter is another place we go to...It's Trailer trash themed...they serve twinkies and hoho and hotdogs..make mean drinks! You can dance on there postage size dance floor.

My all time favorite is Kel's this Irish Bar in North Beach. I drink Hypnotic when im there. They play great music and everyone sings along...its awesome..The owner lets the women come and dance on the tables and the bar....Its great.
    :monkeybut :monkeybut
    Oh one more place!!! Asia SF, is great...your waitress is a transvestite and every hour on the hour, someones waitress gets up and sings on the stage..usually one of the great gay anthems or fave singers..ya know..Cher, Madonna, Judy Garland...they start voguing... THey have expensive but good drinks...

I could go on...Sf have great places....
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Irish pubs!!! I love Irish pubs! Always fun, usually they have good drinking music & the music is at a volume where ya can both listen to that & chat at the same time.

Favorite drink? Ahhh I really hate to be dull but there's simply nothing above this:

(although for the moment I'm confined to Michelob Ultra...until Christmas.....:-))

I agree with the above poster that it's all about the beer!!
    I also love to go to micro breweries & try their stouts...the darker the better... oh yum .... *licks lips*

Last edited by Tigrazhia; 11-17-2003 at 02:28 PM.
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I LOVE going to the brewery here in Santa Cruz. Indoor/outdoor seating, great food, and awesome beer and drinks. They have one beer that comes out every holiday season called "Red Nose Ale". I think it has a hint of cloves or something. Kinda spicy tasting. Live music every Friday and Saturday nights.

I also love sushi bars (there are TONSof them here).

My favorite cocktail right now is a Lemon Drop. I can get pretty tanked on just 2 of those, so I mainly stick to red wine or beer.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast