+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687 LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Re: Hair problem or questions

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3721409;
    I hate to say this, but when I looked around online for reviews of this stuff, I found several mentions of it being discontinued. If they still have it in stores near you, go buy some!
    Crap! I should have realized - everything I take a liking to ends up being taken off the market. My lipstick, my replacement lipstick, my perfume, my favourite carbonated beverage, my particular dainties, my shampoo and now my hair colour. I read the first line of your post, though, and went immediately to the site I order on-line and ordered ten bottles. I now have twenty bottles in total, so that should last me a while.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3721533;
    Crap! I should have realized - everything I take a liking to ends up being taken off the market. My lipstick, my replacement lipstick, my perfume, my favourite carbonated beverage, my particular dainties, my shampoo and now my hair colour. I read the first line of your post, though, and went immediately to the site I order on-line and ordered ten bottles. I now have twenty bottles in total, so that should last me a while.
    It might not be discontinued, but it sure feels like it might be what with the stuff I read online and the fact that I can't find it anywhere. I'm glad you were able to stock up!

The only even remotely similar product I found at the beauty supply store included a MASSIVE amount of effort, including towel drying, applying it just like a hair color, sitting under heat with your hair wrapped, etc. No thanks!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3721409;
    I hate to say this, but when I looked around online for reviews of this stuff, I found several mentions of it being discontinued. If they still have it in stores near you, go buy some!

I couldn't find it anywhere around here and I looked in several drug stores, a Target and a beauty supply store. It's still available online at drugstore.com though.

I bit the bullet and went to the Paul Mitchell Academy Salon in town. I just cannot afford to pay the rates at the salon I used to go to and, after an ill-fated appt at SuperCuts, I wasn't about to go there again. For $18, I got a cut from what they call a Phase 2 stylist - this basically means they're about to graduate (my stylist actually graduates this Saturday). It took a bit longer than at a regular salon, since the stylist has to check with an instructor periodically, but it was totally worth it! I love my cut! I also had them do a color treatment that allegedly covers the gray and just makes your hair shiny. Shiny? YES. Covers gray? Not so much

I'll totally go back there. You can go with a Phase 1 stylist and the cut is about $9 or $10, but I'm too paranoid for that. I'm feeling total relief that I finally got a good cut! It's been a while, believe me.

Forgot to mention this and maybe I would have freaked out if I'd known this before she started cutting, but my stylist was only 17! She did a great job, but sheesh - she's a baby!
    I swear, I am very similar when it comes to some favourite products, although for shampoo and conditioner, I have yet to find my holy grail products. My hair has so many needs it's asinine, so it's like I have to do cocktails for my hair. I haven't gotten to the point where I buy backups of nail polish colours, but there's several OPI colours that I would do just that for.

Anyways, I hairmodeled again a couple months ago-this time it was a colour class, at an organic salon. They had the developer of the system at the salon teaching a class, and I walked in with my boring brown do and walked out with a three-colour piece: the bottom was darker than my natural colour (a dark, dark brown), the middle pieces were a caramel colour (they did triangular sections for that), and the top (along with an accent piece a bit lower) was bleach/tone. Colour me hooked-the organic colour does dry hair out a little bit, but it's a lot gentler for both stylist and client. The bleach did not burn at all! It relies on heat in order to open up the hair shaft instead of ammonia or other chemicals. It's going to cost me an arm and a leg to recolour it, but I love the colour and I love the organic aspect of it.

Critical, I'm not surprised that there was a 17-year old in the classes. For some people, they may be taking that as part of a Running Start program, to get both high school and college credit. For some, they may have dropped out of high school and gone into cosmetology. Whatever it is, I'm just happy that she's working towards her career.

For many of those bargain-basement hair salons (Hair Masters, Super Cuts) I've heard too many bad stories. My mum tried to always get me to go to a HM, but I didn't exactly want to. Then she went in July and well, they completely botched her hair. It was a hot mess, so she goes to the salon where I get my cuts done (hair modeling, thank you) and she is now loyal.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3721519;
    I can't use a regular dye kit from a store anymore. The area of gray ends up being a totally different freaky kind of color compared to the rest of my hair. I found that out the hard way a few years ago!
    I color my hair a dark brown and every single time my gray turns RED. :nono We have always had a Sally's Beauty Supply in our area, but one just opened up right down the street. I have been reading online some of the reviews for their hair "coloring" shampoo, but the reviews were only so-so. So, I also read up on their hair dying products. One that is made to cover gray is getting excellent reviews. It is L'Oreal Excellence Creme Resistant Grays Haircolor. I think that may be my next choice. They also have a Hair Marker temporary hair color. I may also give it a shot. It is similiar to the hair color crayon mentioned up thread. At the moment I am trying their Ion Curl shampoo/conditioner, since I want to try and get my waves under control.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3709608;
    I was having problems with (I don't know if it was true dandruff) itchy, flaky scalp and dry patches -- and then I started using the organic, sulfate/sulfite-free shampoos and conditioners from Trader Joe's. In less than a week, no more itchy flakies!
    Is it the stuff with tea tree oil or the other kind? I was looking at them today and thinking I might give them a try when I run out of the stuff I'm using now.

When I got my hair cut a few weeks ago, I bought some Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner - it's got tea tree oil in it - and my scalp has been so much better. Plus, my hair smells really good! Of course, I'd be happy to switch over to the TJ's products since it's about 1/3 of the price of the Paul Mitchell.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just read where green tea, poured over the scalp, was good for dandruff.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3737286;
    Is it the stuff with tea tree oil or the other kind? I was looking at them today and thinking I might give them a try when I run out of the stuff I'm using now.

When I got my hair cut a few weeks ago, I bought some Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner - it's got tea tree oil in it - and my scalp has been so much better. Plus, my hair smells really good! Of course, I'd be happy to switch over to the TJ's products since it's about 1/3 of the price of the Paul Mitchell.
    Since the price is right, I get both kinds (Nourish Spa and Tea Tree Tingle) and alternate them.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I wish we had a Trader Joe's here. I realized this morning that I am turning into a Shampoo and Conditioner-aholic. I have, if not full, then half full bottles, of Paul Mitchell, Ion, Pantene, Head and Shoulders (2 different kinds), Fantastic Sams, Wen (3 different kinds), Jessie Curl, Aveeno (2 different kinds), L'Oreal EverPure and Sally Hersherger. I am standing in the shower and looking at all those bottles thinking, "Who the heck buys that many different shampoos and conditioners??" Then I started adding up how much I paid for each of those bottles and almost went into shock realizing I had spent that much money on shampoo and conditioner in the last year or so. I guess I need to quit wishing my hair is going to majically become beautiful if I can just find the right product. LOL. Guess it is also a good thing that my daughter has hair that looks perfect with any type of shampoo and conditioner...she always gets my discards. LOL.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Melitta, that's funny.

I have been told by more than one hairdresser that frequently switching products (from one day to the next for instance) is a good way to keep your hair from building up product.

I will also recommend that I have been using Sally Beauty Supply's generic version shampoos and conditioners for years with great result. They make identical knock-offs of brands like Nexus, Paul Mitchell, Redken, etc that are much cheaper than the originals. They post the ingredient lists of the original and the knock-off right on the bottle for comparison. The only difference is usually coloring or fragrance.

I personally keep about 3 different shampoos around and one conditioner. I make sure one of the shampoos is a stripper - usually containing tea tree - which helps do exactly what the name implies, strip your hair of lingering product. I don't use conditioner very much as my fine, sparse hair can't take a lot of it. But when I do, it's the Sally knock-off of Nexus Humectress, used very sparingly and rinsed well.

I also do a vinegar strip of my hair once a month or so. It really takes your hair back to it's bare self. Usually this means I shampoo, rinse, pour vinegar over it and work it through, rinse, then very lightly condition.

My husband uses a vinegar rinse every month as well. He uses a lot of gel and hair spray daily, sometimes twice a day so it keeps his hair looking good. I personally cannot handle the smell of vinegar!! It does work well though!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread