+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3575767778798081828384858687 LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Re: Hair problem or questions

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3715142;
    Well, I think the time has finally come. I'm about to turn 41 and the gray hairs are getting a little bit too plentiful for my taste, although some people say they don't even see them. I pluck all I can find (not a big deal, since I have very thick hair), but I know I'm missing some in the back.

I love my hair color and just want to cover the grays. Any advice on semi-permanent color?
    I'm nearly fifty and have the same issue. I've recommended in this thread John Frieda's Colour Glaze (I use the Espresso colour). You use it like a conditioner every few days or so and it just sort of glazes over the grey, leaving your hair with a natural streaky look, for which I have received many, many compliments over the year I've been using it. Plus, everyone seems to think that I'm forty - woo hoo! And no roots.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3715641;
    I'm nearly fifty and have the same issue. I've recommended in this thread John Frieda's Colour Glaze (I use the Espresso colour). You use it like a conditioner every few days or so and it just sort of glazes over the grey, leaving your hair with a natural streaky look, for which I have received many, many compliments over the year I've been using it. Plus, everyone seems to think that I'm forty - woo hoo! And no roots.
    That sounds like what I'm looking for. Is that a drug store product or a beauty supply store product? Is it with the hair color or with the shampoo/conditioner?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3715825;
    That sounds like what I'm looking for. Is that a drug store product or a beauty supply store product? Is it with the hair color or with the shampoo/conditioner?
    I get it in the local drugstore in the shampoo section. John Frieda has a whole line of products, all the ones of which I've tried have been pretty good. I only use the glaze now, though, because I prefer using organic laureth-free shampoo from the health food store for my general hair care. But that glaze? I love it and have stocked up on twenty bottles because every time I take a liking to something, they take if off the market .

I don't know what your hair colour is, but if it's a medium brown, I would go for the darkest shade (Espresso), which does the best job blending in the grey.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3715838;
    I get it in the local drugstore in the shampoo section. John Frieda has a whole line of products, all the ones of which I've tried have been pretty good. I only use the glaze now, though, because I prefer using organic laureth-free shampoo from the health food store for my general hair care. But that glaze? I love it and have stocked up on twenty bottles because every time I take a liking to something, they take if off the market .

I don't know what your hair colour is, but if it's a medium brown, I would go for the darkest shade (Espresso), which does the best job blending in the grey.
    My hair is kind of a chestnut brown. I'll probably go for the darker shade. This stuff doesn't color the rest of your noticeably, right? Honestly, it's not THAT much gray, but I notice it. Plus, I have a professional trade show to attend soon and I want to look my best - getting a new cut next week, too
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3715843;
    My hair is kind of a chestnut brown. I'll probably go for the darker shade. This stuff doesn't color the rest of your noticeably, right? Honestly, it's not THAT much gray, but I notice it. Plus, I have a professional trade show to attend soon and I want to look my best - getting a new cut next week, too
    It does not. It doesn't really colour your hair much at all, which is why I go for the darkest shade. It basically just gives the lighter hairs (the grey) a light brown tone, hence the streaky look. Plus it makes your hair all smooth and shiny and silky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3715883;
    It does not. It doesn't really colour your hair much at all, which is why I go for the darkest shade. It basically just gives the lighter hairs (the grey) a light brown tone, hence the streaky look. Plus it makes your hair all smooth and shiny and silky.
    Cool! Thanks for all the info. I'm going to pick some up at the drug store tomorrow and give it a try! Maybe someday I'll need to actually full-on color my hair, but I don't think it's time yet. Even my long-time stylist said I could probably just keep plucking. If I had eyes in the back of my head, I probably would wait on doing anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3715192;
    I'm less concerned about gentle and more concerned with it washing out gradually so I don't have roots!
    The only roots that appear are my grey ones. I would try the Rattus' John Freida suggestion, if I were you.

I hate, hate, hate coloring my hair, but have no choice. Going grey isn't even an option for me, because I am randomly grey (mostly at my part).
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3117111;
    Fanciful Touch Up Color Stick

It's like a crayon and you have to moisten it and then rub it on the strands of hair. I also use the Fanciful Rinse but only on days when I REALLY don't want my gray to show - I use both of them actually. Careful - it gets all over your hands and nails (use gloves to help) but it does wash out. So if you wash your hair every day, like I do, you have to reapply.
    I posted this awhile back and my Walgreens has stopped carrying it but I think I can still get it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3715838;
    I get it in the local drugstore in the shampoo section. John Frieda has a whole line of products, all the ones of which I've tried have been pretty good. I only use the glaze now, though, because I prefer using organic laureth-free shampoo from the health food store for my general hair care. But that glaze? I love it and have stocked up on twenty bottles because every time I take a liking to something, they take if off the market :lol.
    I hate to say this, but when I looked around online for reviews of this stuff, I found several mentions of it being discontinued. If they still have it in stores near you, go buy some!

I couldn't find it anywhere around here and I looked in several drug stores, a Target and a beauty supply store. It's still available online at drugstore.com though.

I bit the bullet and went to the Paul Mitchell Academy Salon in town. I just cannot afford to pay the rates at the salon I used to go to and, after an ill-fated appt at SuperCuts, I wasn't about to go there again. For $18, I got a cut from what they call a Phase 2 stylist - this basically means they're about to graduate (my stylist actually graduates this Saturday). It took a bit longer than at a regular salon, since the stylist has to check with an instructor periodically, but it was totally worth it! I love my cut! I also had them do a color treatment that allegedly covers the gray and just makes your hair shiny. Shiny? YES. Covers gray? Not so much

I'll totally go back there. You can go with a Phase 1 stylist and the cut is about $9 or $10, but I'm too paranoid for that. I'm feeling total relief that I finally got a good cut! It's been a while, believe me.

Forgot to mention this and maybe I would have freaked out if I'd known this before she started cutting, but my stylist was only 17! She did a great job, but sheesh - she's a baby!

One of my daughter's best friends is a cosmetologist. I went to her school a couple of times and got a great deal on a cut and color. She was still in the program, so I guess she would have been considered a phase I student at that time. However, she had been in school for probably a year at that point.

I don't think they would let someone really new to the program start cutting on real people. I remember she had a wig and wig stand and that was what she would practice on before she graduated up to working on real people. So I think a phase I person would be okay....a phase II would be more experienced....but a phase I would have to be so far into the program by the time they started working on real people.

She's been working in a salon for several years now. I still go to her for cuts. But she buys the dye stuff for me and either she or my daughter dyes my hair at home. Saves me a few bucks.....and we get to really catch up on all the latest news.

My hair is at the point where they have to do a certain mix of dye for the gray hair. That goes on first. Then after so long, another mix is made and that goes on the rest of my hair. After that is on for a while, it all gets rinsed out and I am done. I can't use a regular dye kit from a store anymore. The area of gray ends up being a totally different freaky kind of color compared to the rest of my hair. I found that out the hard way a few years ago!

+ Reply to Thread