+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 87 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687 LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Re: Hair problem or questions

Trust me, if there's one thing I do well, it's tip. As far as beauty schools, there are a couple of the community colleges that have beauty schools, and then Gene Juarez and a couple Paul Mitchell ones. There's also an Aveda training salon where I want to go to get my brows done. That's insane though-$7 for a haircut.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3543554;
    Trust me, if there's one thing I do well, it's tip. As far as beauty schools, there are a couple of the community colleges that have beauty schools, and then Gene Juarez and a couple Paul Mitchell ones. There's also an Aveda training salon where I want to go to get my brows done. That's insane though-$7 for a haircut.
    And blood relatives got a 50% discount. So that $40 dye and highlight job really only cost me $20.

My daughter wants to go to work for Aveda and there isn't a training salon near us. There are 2 Aveda salons here though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Your daughter and I would get along great, mrd. I only use Aveda salons because their hair color is so gentle that my hair stays super healthy.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

In need of a really good dandruff shampoo. Ever since I had my second child, my scalp has been really dry and flakey. I'm African American and even with using the conditioning products for our hair, my scalp is still flakey.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Sweet Lady, my husband used plain old Head & Shoulders with great results for years. He's not African American, but I don't think there should be a problem.

But I wonder if perhaps it's not actually dandruff, but something else. It turned out with my husband the problem wasn't really dandruff - it was the fact that he wore a hat darn near every day, all day. He had really long hair, and just got in the habit of wearing a hat to keep it tucked back and out of his face. His head was covered with what we called 'crunchies'. Sounds nasty, and it was. Once he stopped wearing the hat every day, that went away totally.

Perhaps maybe you can see if you're doing something different than you did before having the 2nd child? Wearing something on your head? Using a different hair product?

Just ideas. Good luck.

My kids are bi-racial and when one of the boys had some dry scalp problems and we used a Neutrogena T-Gel dandruff shampoo. It did the trick for them without drying his hair out too much. Although, he was pretty young at the time and that can certainly make a difference in how hair reacts to different hair products...

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3709383;
    Sweet Lady, my husband used plain old Head & Shoulders with great results for years. He's not African American, but I don't think there should be a problem.

But I wonder if perhaps it's not actually dandruff, but something else. It turned out with my husband the problem wasn't really dandruff - it was the fact that he wore a hat darn near every day, all day. He had really long hair, and just got in the habit of wearing a hat to keep it tucked back and out of his face. His head was covered with what we called 'crunchies'. Sounds nasty, and it was. Once he stopped wearing the hat every day, that went away totally.

Perhaps maybe you can see if you're doing something different than you did before having the 2nd child? Wearing something on your head? Using a different hair product?

Just ideas. Good luck.
    Thanks, I will give Head & Shoulders a try. Actually since I had my second child, I've been taking better care of my hair. While I was pregnant, I didn't really take care of my hair besides washing it and throwing it in a ponytail. I do wrap my hair and wear a silk scarf at night though. But I've been doing that since I was kid, so don't think that would be the problem.

I was having problems with (I don't know if it was true dandruff) itchy, flaky scalp and dry patches -- and then I started using the organic, sulfate/sulfite-free shampoos and conditioners from Trader Joe's. In less than a week, no more itchy flakies!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3709359;
    In need of a really good dandruff shampoo. Ever since I had my second child, my scalp has been really dry and flakey. I'm African American and even with using the conditioning products for our hair, my scalp is still flakey.
    Your hormones may be still in a tizzy. That does happen after childbirth and, in time, it may settle.
    I've had my hair switch from oily to dry over the years. When it does, the dermatologist recommends clobetasol. Once the flakes are gone, he has me use a dandruff shampoo like Ti -Gel once weekly to maintain.
    He, and other dermatologists through the years, have told me not to wash my hair daily, as it's counterproductive and actually dries out the hair, no matter what shampoo you use. That's the best advice I've ever gotten.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I agree with the Neutrogena T gel stuff. Yes, the 'T' stands for tar, but it's not like the asphalt tar.

Hubby & daughter have psoriasis (though hers only acts up when she gets an infection) and that Neutrogena works wonders on all kinds of skin/scalp issues.

+ Reply to Thread