+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3272737475767778798081828384858687 LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Hair problem or questions

Star, I think we all go your pathway before we finally decide to start going the beauty school/professional stylists route. The people on the other end of those 800- numbers are beauticians, and they are immensely helpful. And they don't care how many times you call! And they ended up sending me vouchers for 100% free products.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Really? I think I will call with a "pretend" problem just to get coupons! Especially if they're 100% coupons!

I honestly wouldn't go L'Oreal-I would go to a beauty supply store and find something that not only is not animal tested, but that would be used in a salon-I don't trust most at-home hair colours. It's brighter colours, yes, but I have found that the Hot Topic hair dye works really well on me. Of course with my brown hair any of the pinks will go red, however I am thinking of maybe doing some streaks on the underlayers of my hair.

Now here's a random question: have any of you tried being hair models before? I know a lot of salons here in the Seattle area do it, and many other places too probably. What it means is there are salons that have advanced training programs for their stylists, or special classes, and they need hair models to come in so that they can try out certain cuts or colouring (many times grey coverage). In exchange for the fact that it is a classroom setting, in many cases the service is free or greatly discounted. I got my hair done on Monday at a salon here in the Seattle area and it was interesting because it was a razor cut (no scissors used) and it's the best haircut I've had in my life. I'm hoping to go in to get colour done here soon, because they said that my hair (very dense, very thick) is ideal for them to practice on. The easiest way to find salons that are doing it is to go on Craigslist, and there will usually be quite a few listings.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

My one and only experience being a hair model involved the "stylist" digging many copper wires into my head to creat this giant daisy shaped framework to wind my hair around and be glued into place. That was about 12 yrs ago and it was horrible. I got a real piece of work hair dresser that day
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

MRD

My daughter just finished cosmotology school and the models that they used either got cuts or color or perms. Mostly cut and color. I would think that if it's going to be an elaborate updo involving a frame under the hair, that they would tell you in advance. Closetnerd, I would have hated that too, but I'd do the cut and color model thing.

So Trista, I'd ask exactly what they plan to do before you model. However, I have seen several of the end results of the live models from my daughter's school and they looked fantastic. But it was cut and/or color.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3542869;
    My one and only experience being a hair model involved the "stylist" digging many copper wires into my head to creat this giant daisy shaped framework to wind my hair around and be glued into place. That was about 12 yrs ago and it was horrible. I got a real piece of work hair dresser that day
    Flashback to the movie "Blow Dry" - best movie ever!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3542896;
    My daughter just finished cosmotology school and the models that they used either got cuts or color or perms. Mostly cut and color. I would think that if it's going to be an elaborate updo involving a frame under the hair, that they would tell you in advance. Closetnerd, I would have hated that too, but I'd do the cut and color model thing.

So Trista, I'd ask exactly what they plan to do before you model. However, I have seen several of the end results of the live models from my daughter's school and they looked fantastic. But it was cut and/or color.
    I knew exactly what they were going to do, as far as the kind of cut went. They then asked me how short I was willing to go, and what I normally use on my hair (mainly for the shampooing though). That's the hair model I am talking about-not a HAIR model where you're doing hair shows and that stuff. They don't really do as much as far as the perms go, at least that I know of here in Seattle-or I may not know about it. When they put the ads up though, they will state what they are looking for and many of them ask for a picture, so they can see whether or not your hair will be right for them. I can't wait for colour though, I've been wanting to get it done for ages but I am cheap when it comes to my hair.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3543399;
    I knew exactly what they were going to do, as far as the kind of cut went. They then asked me how short I was willing to go, and what I normally use on my hair (mainly for the shampooing though). That's the hair model I am talking about-not a HAIR model where you're doing hair shows and that stuff. They don't really do as much as far as the perms go, at least that I know of here in Seattle-or I may not know about it. When they put the ads up though, they will state what they are looking for and many of them ask for a picture, so they can see whether or not your hair will be right for them. I can't wait for colour though, I've been wanting to get it done for ages but I am cheap when it comes to my hair.
    The hair schools do color that is VERY inexpensive. I know that for an overall head color (to cover my gray) and then foil highlights, it was around $40 and that is at least $200 in the salons around here. The instructors are right with the students and offer advice and supervise closely. My hair came out beautifully the 3 times I got it done at the school and I"ve gotten a LOT of compliments on it (but I also think the stylist was fantastic-well she IS my daughter). Anyway, the hair schools (reputable ones) are a great alternative for hair, manicures, pedicures and facials for not a lot of money. AND they LOVE younger clients as about 80% of their clientel is the over 80 crowd getting shampoo and sets, so they love getting someone in that wants a cool cut, and color, highlights, etc.

When I worked at the mall there was one of the two training schools affiliated with the top salon chain here in Seattle right behind the mall, and everyone went for the $13 haircuts. I just looked and a partial highlight with colour is $85, which seems good to me. I know at most salons that's how much highlights start out at. A mani at that school though is $13, and a pedi is $18-there are salons that do it way cheaper than that. Then again, I spend enough money on nail polish that I don't need to go get manicures.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3543519;
    When I worked at the mall there was one of the two training schools affiliated with the top salon chain here in Seattle right behind the mall, and everyone went for the $13 haircuts. I just looked and a partial highlight with colour is $85, which seems good to me. I know at most salons that's how much highlights start out at. A mani at that school though is $13, and a pedi is $18-there are salons that do it way cheaper than that. Then again, I spend enough money on nail polish that I don't need to go get manicures.
    My daughter went to a Pivot Point school which is supposedly a good school chain around the US. The haircuts were $7 and the manicures were also $7. Pedi's were $12. I'm sure they charge what the market will bear and the market here is not that high for those services.

Still the schools give great value, they do a good job and it helps the students immensely.
    Also tip your student. They don't get paid for working on you and many of them really work hard, so getting a tip especially when you've saved a ton on services is good.

+ Reply to Thread