+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 87 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Re: Hair problem or questions

I had very oily hair for years and washed it every day. Bad. It is very dry now, as a result. Dermatologist told me to also take biotin and Magnesium - both are very good for hair. Hairdresser also told me it is not good to wash it frequently, as we're stripping the natural oils. I now wash it 2x a week - sometimes 3x. I put a conditioning rinse on it when I shower and that helps to make it manageable, but it does not make it greasy. Both dermatologist and hairdresser said NOT to wash daily. I've tried just about every shampoo there is, expensive and cheap, and none seems to work better or worse. The biotin, magnesium and general diet do help, though. Along with thorough brushing with a good brush. I love the Mason Pearson brush from Engloand and have used it for years.

I have longer hair now - nearly like back in my early 20s. I have taken to doing what I did then - I wash all of it maybe 2x a week. otherwise, I just do my 'bangs' area - as that starts to look oily quicker. It makes my whole head of hair look cleaner just to have the bangs patch clean and blown dry.

I have oily hair and it needs to be washed every day or I look like someone dripped cooking oil on my scalp.

I found the best thing to do is to just use a little shampoo on the hair closest to the scalp. It's really helped my longer hair from becoming too dry.

This isn't a question or problem but I thought I would mention it.
    We just got an "Ulta" store recently. They have just about every haircare/cosmetic/fragrance/soap/bath supply all in one place! Everything from drugstore brands to really "upscale" products". The prices are a LOT lower than other places that I have seen and they offer a lot of coupons.

Here is the website so you can find out if there is one in your area or order on line.

Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts

I should add that the Ulta here is right next door to Hooter's.... Now THERE is a good marketing strategy to keep both men and women happy during a shopping trip!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3307172;
    . . . I should add that the Ulta here is right next door to Hooter's.... Now THERE is a good marketing strategy to keep both men and women happy during a shopping trip!
    I like Ulta a lot! One of my summer faves is their brand of body wash and lotion stuff in the Coconut-Lime scent.

And the one near me has a good location, too -- it's in the same mall as Trader Joe's!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I like it a lot too! I was thrilled to discover that they have Gardenia scented bath products (I LOVE bubble baths) that smell exactly like the ones from Bath & Body Works. I used the B&BW for years, but they forgot to inform me the last time they discontinued the Gardenia scent and I didn't get a chance to stock up. Plus, ULTA's stuff is a lot less expensive!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FORT Regular

Hey everyone! My hair has been nasty lately from coloring, so I have been searching high and low for treatments and detanglers. I tried FORT the other day, but couldn’t find anything. The next day, this topic popped up! Ironic! It has taken me several days to get through the 71 pages, but I am now armed with a list of products and ideas. Thanks friends!!

Anyway, I just thought I would share a few things I have learned during my quest that I don’t believe have been mentioned. These don’t apply to me, but I would love feedback so I can share with family and friends if anyone has experience with these:

° For premature whitening, research has suggested that a copper deficiency is the cause. Copper can be applied to the hair and/or added through copper rich foods and supplements. It sounds like there are also injections. A copper deficiency also causes anemia and osteoporosis, so it is probably worth checking out for these reasons alone.

° For thinning hair. I have very thin/fine hair. Several mentioned head message as a remedy. I noticed that my hair got slightly thicker and grew faster after I met my hubby. He gave me nightly head messages laying in bed watching tv at night! I also found this on QVC. Since most of the 68 customers reviewing gave it a 5 out of 5, I thought I would share:

Toppik 3-Piece Hair Building Fiber System- $28.56, S/H $4.97

93% of customers would recommend this product to a friend

68 Customer Reviews 4.7 of 5

DESCRIPTION:
    What is it: A 30-second transformation. Toppik three-piece hair-building fiber system is a shake-on of fibers made of keratin proteins that adds "hair" to your own hair. The system fills in thinning hair for a fuller, thicker appearance. Ideal scalp cover-up, it conceals any signs of scalp show-through.

Who is it for: Anyone with thinning hair, balding areas, or scalp show-through. You must have some hair "fuzz" so that Toppik fibers can attach. People who have gray or blonde hair with multiple shades of color can combine two different shades for a more customized match.

Why is it different: The Toppik hair-building fiber system is a natural product, not a synthetic cover-up. The keratin protein fibers cling to existing hairs by virtue of a static electrical charge that causes a magnet-like attraction to human hair. It's remarkably effective for both men and women with a wide range of hair conditions. Sets with a fine mist of the Fiberhold finishing spray, which can be used daily when styling your hair. Toppik fibers are resistant to wind, rain and perspiration but remove easily with shampoo. Colorfast keratin fibers won't stain clothes.

How do I use it: Typical application takes less than a minute. Towel or blow dry your hair, or air dry completely; Toppik should be used only on dry hair. Hold Toppik container 2" to 3" above areas to be thickened. For targeting small spots, you may bring container right up to the area. Shake Toppik liberally over desired areas with bottle opening facing completely downward. Any fibers falling into surrounding hair will
    simply disappear.

Pat hair to disperse Toppik fibers throughout the area. Use an open, plastic, non-bristle brush or any comb to style your hair as you wish. If coverage is not complete, add more Toppik and pat or brush until hair looks thick and full. For best results, lightly apply Toppik Fiberhold Spray to lock the fibers into place.

Hmm, that's interesting. I have premature whitening (since my early 20's) that I always assumed was genetic, since so many others in my family have/had it. Still, I had a bad case of anemia in high school, so maybe the copper thing is worth looking into. Thanks Laudgirl!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer - suck on some pennies!
    Count your blessings!

My hair has been getting white since I was 26, so I'll definitely look into the copper. I don't eat very well.

I've heard that you need to make sure to get enough protein for your hair to look good.

And to those who were talking about shampoos, etc., what I've heard is you should avoid shampoos/conditioners with sulfates, and perhaps also avoid the ones with silicones. Apparently sulfates are like detergent -- they make the suds, but they're harsh for hair. I've been trying to embrace my natural curls (after years of blowing them out straight) and my stylist said I shouldn't wash it every day, I should use lots of conditioner, and I should use a sulfate-free shampoo on the days I do wash it. On the other days I wash with conditioner -- I'm told that if you rub your scalp with your fingertips and some conditioner, that suffices to clean your hair. I have oily hair at the scalp, and it works for me, but I use shampoo every other day.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread