+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

FORT Fogey
    Gee, it's a shame you don't live near me, Jillibean, you sound like the kind of person who I would like to have cut my hair. What do you think is a good style for spiral curly hair? And maybe you can shed light on the old debate--bangs for curls or no bangs for curls?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    this is sort of in relation to Jillibean's head-stress post. My mother has very thin hair. I don't think it's necessarily ever been much thicker -- she was a blonde, and says her hair was always fine. Now it's all silver. Anyway, for years she's kept it in a perm, then curls it in the mornings -- she wears it pretty short. Now we've convinced her to give up the perms, so now the thin hair is more noticeable. No outright bald spots, but there are places where you can see scalp. Apart from massaging her scalp, how can she make her hair look thicker? She's experimenting with mousse but doesn't like to use a lot of products and is leery of hairspray. She curls it still, to make it fluffier, but she doesn't want it huge. Any advice?
    Hi Lucy,
    I know she doesn`t like product. But there isn`t much we can do when our hair gets thinner due to age.

But, again with my product pushing.
    The amplify products seem to add some thickness to the hair shaft. I don`t know how it works, but it does. It also smells wonderful, and that is the first think I look for, ....,er....smell for.

And, at times we have to do the best with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by jules77
    I'm a stylist as well and I always recommend the Graham Webb Making Waves curl enhancing gel and I always get good reports>

Hi Jules.

Very good, a fellow Cosmetologist. Nice to meet you. We can both take these questions. so if you have an answer for these beautiful FORTERS, just jump right in.

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    Jillie biggest pet peeve of a stylist??

I asked the two ladies I work for, and here are a few we came up with.

~~ People who grab the comb or brush out of your hand, when you`re trying to style or dry it.

~~ Clients who continually show up late for their appointments, without a good excuse, or non at all.

~~ Men who stare and stare at themselves in the mirror, and are so-o picky, the girls beside me can`t keep from laughing. (This trait doesn`t bother me, they come to me, because they are picky and only I can do their hair the way they want it. These clients are the most loyal, and best tippers of them all. But the girls wanted me to add this one. ~~~ WHATEVER!!

~~ I`m rolling a perm, with the chair turned from the mirror, for ease in reaching my rods, and the person keeps on turning the chair and wrecking my system, to look in the mirror, They don`t need to look in the mirror at this point.

*** But I don`t have many clients who bother me at all. I`m really friendly, and I`ve got the best clientelle. The only thing I wish: is I could do everyone`s hair over here, who I`ve gotten to know, talk to, and have seen your pictures..... Then I wouldn`t be struggling with my own business, because of the economy. I now have two self- employment jobs doing hair.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister
    Hi Jillibean,
    You should have an advice column! I guess you do in a way. I have a question. My natural hair color is dirty blonde with a lot of gray. I pay to have a 2 color foil 4 times a year. This can get really costly. Do you think any of the new products where you brush on the blonde streaks work? It seems like it would bleed. Do you know if someone can easily do highlights at home? I know I would still have to get it done professionally for the darker streaks.
    Thank you very much!

Hi LittleSister!! I know you sweetie. Nice seeing an old friend.

I`ve been seeing those highlighting commercials, but just don`t see how they could work, unless you had someone who knows what they`re doing.

I mean, How can you just paint the streaks on, and get the underneath, and the back of your hair. Like if you wanted your hair up? The underneath would still be unhighlighted...

Now if you know of someone who would section it off, at the bottom first, then paint the rest of the streaks on, I can see it working. Then again, what about the top layers hanging on the colored underneath layers. Wouldn`t that get on the dry parts you don`t want streaked? I don`t see how it would work. ????????????????

Jillibean said:
    I`ve been seeing those highlighting commercials, but just don`t see how they could work, unless you had someone who knows what they`re doing.

I mean, How can you just paint the streaks on, and get the underneath, and the back of your hair. Like if you wanted your hair up? The underneath would still be unhighlighted...

Now if you know of someone who would section it off, at the bottom first, then paint the rest of the streaks on, I can see it working. Then again, what about the top layers hanging on the colored underneath layers. Wouldn`t that get on the dry parts you don`t want streaked? I don`t see how it would work. ????????????????
    Thank you Jillibean! Nice to see you too!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    Jillie biggest pet peeve of a stylist??
    I'm going to agree with Jillibean on all of these points but I also have to add my biggest pet peeve.It drives me crazy when my clients have a friend or relative that sits there(usually in the stylist's way)And puts thier two cents into EVERYTHING you are doing.Or if a partner/spouse is there and they can't keep thier hands/lips off of each other and you're trying to do thier hair.So gross!
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillibean
    Hi Lucy,

The amplify products seem to add some thickness to the hair shaft. I don`t know how it works, but it does. It also smells wonderful, and that is the first think I look for, ....,er....smell for.

And, at times we have to do the best with what we have.
    I Love, Love, Love amplify . I used to use it religiously but unfortunately I get heavy highlights every 5 weeks and it was stripping the color out of my hair. I don't know if it does it to everyone but it was awful for my highlights. I loved it so much, I almost gave up then highlights for it . It's great if you don't have wimpy highlights
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks, Jillibean.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    I Love, Love, Love amplify . I used to use it religiously but unfortunately I get heavy highlights every 5 weeks and it was stripping the color out of my hair. I don't know if it does it to everyone but it was awful for my highlights. I loved it so much, I almost gave up then highlights for it . It's great if you don't have wimpy highlights
    The original Amplify line used to strip colour but Matrix has come out with Amplify for coloured hair.Have you tried it?
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

+ Reply to Thread