+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Extensions

I've been thinking about getting some hair extensions. After some searching, I can't seem to justify spending a thousand dollars on fused hair extension (as much as i would love to). Someone at work recently got a "hair piece" or extensions as she calls them that clip in to your own hair close to your scalp. They look fantastic and you can't even tell that this hair is not her real hair. She paid less than 130.00 for them which included cut (she didn't like the stripper length they come in) and some coloring. Yes you are able to color, straighten, perm etc. as they are real hair. Has anyone else had any experience with this type of 'extension'? Has anyone had any experience with this type of hair extension?

Re: Hair problem or questions

I have no experience - but I would think the clip-on kind would be your better bet! I asked my hair guy (absolutely love him!!) about them and he said he will not work with them as they are sooo hard on your hair/head. He said the glues that are used in permanent extentions are just horrible for your hair and so he just doesn't offer that service. He also said no one in his salon uses them either - very upscale salon, also.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Years ago, I was watching a show (maybe an infomercial) where a soap opera star (Jill on The Young and the Restless) started pulling these pieces out of her hair just like what you are describing...the clip in hair pieces. I thought it was a very interesting idea, so they have been around for quite a while. She said that they were of common use which is why everyone's hair on television seemed so thick and lush. I've never had personal experience with extensions, but I think I would prefer the clip-in pieces after seeing the damage that other extensions/weaves can do to your hair.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've heard it can take over 8 hours in the chair to get realistic looking extensions and the upkeep is insane! I would love longer hair but I too cannot justify spending that much money or time on my hair. I tend to let my roots grow out far too long before coloring so I would probably let my extensions get nasty looking!
    Yup, with donuts!!

you could be Britney's twin!!!

MRD

I do know that Sally's beauty supply (don't know if you have them where you live. It's a chain) carries both the real hair and the fake hair extensions and has a variety and a variety of prices. I know this as I had to look at ALL of them with my daughter. There are several different kinds and some that are on combs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I love Sally's! They have so many different products there and if a beautician is in the back, she'll answer all your questions.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I have a question. My 9-year-old daughter wants a blue streak in her hair. I know, I know. However, several of her friends sported them last year and I don't see the harm. Problem one: Where the heck do I get the stuff to do it? I tried a local salon and they didn't stock it and weren't sure where to get it. Does food colouring work? And problem two: She has a big headful of curly hair that tends to get frizzy. I don't think a single streak will look that great - she's hankering for a look that her straight-haired friends have. I know I won't be able to talk her out of it, though.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Problem one, find a distributor in the area that carries Manic Panic or a similar product. Food coloring will work but it will wash out in one shampoo. (I used to do it when I was in jr high)
    (google manic panic and it should tell you where in your area you can get it)

And HeadShops usually carry punk hair color supplies if you have one of those in the area.

Does she want to straighten her hair? I used to use a perm solution and put it on and keep brushing it for the 35-40 minutes or so and then rinse it out. It's very hard on the hair though.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I love that site. I couldn't find a Canadian distributor on the site, but I'll take a better look later on, thanks buglover. I think I may have an idea of where I can get it...there's a store in our big mall that carries goth stuff. (The 9-year-old loves it in there, too.)

No, I straighten hers sometimes with the flat iron - which takes forever - but she's usually content to wear it curly. It's very hard to control, though, and since I've always had straight hair I'm often at a loss to know what to do with hers. A friend of mine with similar hair told me she washes hers every 3 days or so and only attempts to comb it while wet. She puts product in it when it's wet and then just leaves it. I tried that with my daughter and it kind of worked, but I usually settle for just braiding it when it gets too out-of-control.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread