+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 87 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Re: Hair problem or questions

"Brandy gums" here as a kid! Polish remedies always involved some sort of brandy -- either blackberry or "regular." (Hell, grandma's brandy-honey-lemon tea is still the best way to knock out a cold -- or at least to not give a damn about it!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3148098;
    "Brandy gums" here as a kid! Polish remedies always involved some sort of brandy -- either blackberry or "regular." (Hell, grandma's brandy-honey-lemon tea is still the best way to knock out a cold -- or at least to not give a damn about it!)
    We had the bourbon-honey-lemon stuff here. I can remember begging my grandmother to make it for me (was turning into a lush as a child due to the home remedies! )

Since this is the hair thread I will say that some of my grandmother's home remedies would grow hair on your chest if not on your head!!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

I didn't use olive oil for cradle cap but I did use regular baby oil. I just rubbed it in the scalp and gently combed the scalp with the fine toothed baby comb. I had to do this every other day for about a week, but it finally went away.

I used regular baby oil too for cradle cap. Within a week, it was gone for good.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3121468;
    Going to the color question, I must be the cheapest person around because when I did my touch ups, I would use the same amount of color and toner, mix it up in a separate container, apply it to my roots and use the regular application directions. That way I'd get 4 or 5 root applications from the one kit I'd buy.
    OK, I tried doing this last night but I screwed up and ended up throwing half of the dye away (!!). I'll have to be better prepared next time.

What do you all use to spread the dye on your hair? The tube was like a mustard tube, so it didn't have "teeth" or anything, so I put on rubber disposable gloves and spread it through the roots. It was messy.

Also, I made a mess with dye droplets in the bathroom (which is WHITE ON WHITE). Do you all dye your hair in the bathroom? I'm thinking of having a little setup made in our basement so that if I splatter, it's not a big deal. I almost had a heart attack trying to clean everything up before the dye set on the white countertop etc. (It's not like I was splashing dye everywhere, but even as careful as I was I saw tiny little droplets. Mr. Lane said he would attached a sprayer hose on the basement sink for me so I can wash/rinse my dyed hair there.

The big mess aside, the color turned out really well (I just touched up the roots). It covered a lot more than the Root Touch Up that I usually use. I want to see how long this lasts. If it goes about 3 weeks, I'll be happy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Beauty is such a pain in the wah-zoo!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3149107;
    . . . What do you all use to spread the dye on your hair? The tube was like a mustard tube, so it didn't have "teeth" or anything, so I put on rubber disposable gloves and spread it through the roots. It was messy.

Also, I made a mess with dye droplets in the bathroom (which is WHITE ON WHITE). Do you all dye your hair in the bathroom? . . .
    I use a flat, long-handled, rat-tail brush from the beauty supply store, and mix the dye in a plastic dye bowl -- also from the beauty supply. I never use the applicator bottles that come with the dye mix -- not enough control, too gloppy, uneven distribution of product, etc. And, you can use part of the dye and toner, and have some leftover for touching up the roots -- you don't have to mix the whole thing all at once. (This was on recommendation from a stylist a long time ago.) I also keep a supply of thin plastic or latex disposable gloves (either from beauty supply or the hardware section of the supermarket or drugstore), as haircolor kits only give you one pair, as the manufacturers expect -- or hope -- that each kit is a one-use thing.

And yeah -- I do the coloring in the bathroom, as it's pretty much the only practical choice in a small, one-bedroom apartment. Using the bowl-and-brush combo gives me good control, so there's not really a spatter problem. I keep a damp paper towel on hand, though, for any drips on hard surfaces or my skin. I rinse off and condition in the shower -- easy to clean me; easy to clean the shower.

It took a few tries to get used to the brush as opposed to the bottle. Now I actually prefer it.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I dye in the b athroom too and even dye that has sat for a while will come off of tile and porceline fixtures. I know from experience.

I really love the loreal that has the comb applicator. I wonder if you could find a bottle like that to use and then wash out to reuse. I lOVE the comb applicator.

My hair problem is that my daughter wants to cut and color mine. She's only been learning cutting for 2 weeks now and has only worked on her manniquin and her boyfriend. I've been growing my hair out for 2 years and I don't want her touching it yet especially at home where there is NOT an instructor to help fix it if it goes horribly wrong.
    She's mad at me because I said I wanted to wait until she had more experience.

She says I'm not being supportive. Ha! I want to hang on to the one thing that I'm vain about and the ONLY thing right now that looks good on me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think you are being unrealistic. I think she is. She's not working on actual heads right now for a reason. Teachers know best!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3149175;
    I don't think you are being unrealistic. I think she is. She's not working on actual heads right now for a reason. Teachers know best!
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread