+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 87 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Re: Hair problem or questions

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3147702;
    Bath and Body Works - it runs $20 for a full-size tube, but it lasts a looong time!
    Thanks! I may have to take a trip to the mall today!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I have been teased unmercifully by friends about the mayonnaise thing, but it works. One of my friend's husband laughed hysterically when he heard about it.

Well months later,he had been on vacation and his hair had gotten the full brunt of sun and salt water, etc. and he decided that he would try the mayonnaise thing. He waited until his wife and daugher were gone and wrapped his head up good. His wife came back early and caught him and let out his secret. He laughingly apologized later for teasing me about it as he said: "IT WORKS!!!"

Margaritaville, my grandmother used to tell me to put olive oil on my baby's head for cradle cap.
    I can't imagine what you had to go through, no wonder you hate olive oil.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Did it work for cradle cap?

MRD

honestly, I can't remember. I just remember getting all this advice from my grandmother:
    "drink a beer before nursing because it lets the milk down" (and makes the baby sleep better!!!! )
    Rub whiskey on a teething baby's gums for the pain.

Always keep socks on a baby even in summer and they'll never have colick.

I remember doing the socks thing, but I didn't do the other stuff and if I did the olive oil thing I really don't remember. We had more problems on the other end with horrible diaper rash. Grandmother's cure for that was to leave the diaper off. Worked, but you had to put down all kinds of towels and blankets to catch what the diaper was supposed to catch.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My grandmother used to tell us to use whiskey on the gums as well! I like olive oil on the hair if it's kept warm. It works so much better if you heat it and keep it warm.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3147694;
    I truly believe this is why I cannot stand olive oil to this day! When I was a kid, I had a really bad skin condition on my scalp that took years to diagnose correctly (ended up being allergic to the shampoo my mom used on me) and one of the remedies suggested to my mom was soaking my head in olive oil. The smell killed me... I just hated it! And it didn't work!! No joke, every time someone uses olive oil on a cooking show - my stomach turns just a bit
    The Fekkai line does not smell like olive oil - that's why I was okay with trying it Thank goodness - because it rocks!

Speaking of being allergic to shampoo, and I've never heard anyone else talk about it, I am allergic to Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner. Somebody had recommended that I try it, I did, and the itch fest was on! When I tell people that, I've gotten the strangest looks. I don't know what's in that stuff that sets me off, but it is there! I have heard that there are some fish products in some shampoos, and conditioners, and I am allergic to white fish.

I remember us using Breck years ago when I was a child. Loved that smell!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It could also be the amount of fragrance they put in the Pantene that is causing the itch. If I have a slight sunburn on my scalp, I can only use baby shampoo until the sunburn heals.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I remember it very well -- Suave Balsam and Protein -- anyone remember that one? Ugh- I would itch and then scratch until I had thick scabs all over my head. My mom would yell at me about scratching at the scabs, but I just couldn't help myself. This went on for a few years. I finally solved the issue myself when I was old enough to buy my own shampoo and bought a different brand. Imagine my delight when the problem disappeared My mother felt so guilty after that... so many years of her shampoo causing the problem and then her yelling at me about the scratching...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sometimes, I think it's a wonder that some of us survived our parents parenting! I'm telling you, some of the things they did......
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have also found that by only coloring my roots as they come in, my hair stays healthier longer. It does dry out due to the horrible water we have but I can always buy a new shower filter and have silky hair again.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread