+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Re: Hair problem or questions

Matrix has a product called curl.life that my friend swears by.
    Matrix - Hair Products - Curl.Life

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2371699;
    I have a question. My hair is getting quite dry and tangly so I am using Infusium conditioner which I like. I've tried friz-ease and similar products which cut down on the frizz, but they straighten my hair.

My hair is somewhat naturally curly, but not as much as when I was younger. I'd like to get more of the curls back. My hair is layered and down past my shoulders.

What can I use to get some curl back in my hair, and yet also help the dry ends? I don't really want to go back to a curling iron or hot rollers.
    misskitty, I'm not a stylist, but I too have terrible trouble with my (dry) hair getting tangled. It can get bad enough that even just sitting still, not doing anything, I wind up with awful tangles that require a lot of time spent combing them out with a heavy conditioner in them. The only thing that ever helps is getting a haircut. I use detanglers, leave-in conditioners, silicone serums, all of that stuff - and unless the dry ends are gone, they do nothing.

My hair is stick-straight, though, can barely hold a curl, so maybe it's different for you. Something to keep in mind, though.

It's funny this thread found it's way to the top, today.

As I've posted before, my hair is getting thinner and thinner. Now I can see my scalp all the time. I do own two wigs (full wigs, not pieces), and they look ok. Not great, but ok.

I have a couple of questions about wearing the wigs. If I wear the stocking cap, it's as if it's too small, eventually, it pops up to the top of my head, under the wig. And, stocking cap or no, the darn things itch to high heaven.

So, for anyone that routinely wears a wig, do you use a stocking cap? And, is there something I can do to stop the itching? I wore one most of the day today, and now I have to go take another shower, just to sort of cool of my head, and stop scratching.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2372120;
    It's funny this thread found it's way to the top, today.

As I've posted before, my hair is getting thinner and thinner. Now I can see my scalp all the time. I do own two wigs (full wigs, not pieces), and they look ok. Not great, but ok.

I have a couple of questions about wearing the wigs. If I wear the stocking cap, it's as if it's too small, eventually, it pops up to the top of my head, under the wig. And, stocking cap or no, the darn things itch to high heaven.

So, for anyone that routinely wears a wig, do you use a stocking cap? And, is there something I can do to stop the itching? I wore one most of the day today, and now I have to go take another shower, just to sort of cool of my head, and stop scratching.
    MissThing, I don't know anything about wearing wigs, but I do have experience with thinning hair. Mine was due to my thyroid being underactive.

If any of you start having your hair fall out or turn brittle for no apparent reason, have your doctor do a blood test for thyroid function.

Mine grew back after I started taking synthetic thyroid hormones.

ETA: No smart alleck remarks about my current avatar, Chewbacca, are necessary!!!!!

Thanks, veejer. Actually, I do have a hypoactive thyroid. I've long suspected my medication level needs adjusting. I'll bring it up with my doctor when I go next week.

That makes me feel much better, actually, believe it or not!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I have a question. My hair is getting quite dry and tangly so I am using Infusium conditioner which I like. I've tried friz-ease and similar products which cut down on the frizz, but they straighten my hair.

My hair is somewhat naturally curly, but not as much as when I was younger. I'd like to get more of the curls back. My hair is layered and down past my shoulders.

What can I use to get some curl back in my hair, and yet also help the dry ends? I don't really want to go back to a curling iron or hot rollers.
    MissKitty.... to add to Kat's CurlLife suggestion, I have also had great success with Redken products. There is one line called Fresh Curls that my sister uses to enhance her curls. I swear by their Leave In Treatment called Anti-Snap. My hair is long, babyfine, and somewhat straight at this point and if I let my hair airdry it's kind of frizzy and blah. Putting Anti-Snap on when my hair is damp causes (helps?) it to air dry smoothly with my natural wave (it looks like a three month old body perm... pretty cool) without weighing it down.

MissThing.... good luck. I wonder if using some light powder underneath your wig would help with the itching? I'll have to ask my mother what she had to use when she wore one through chemo.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I use Abba products. You can only get them from a beautician. You can't go to like Sally's Beauty Salon. My hair was really dry, brittle, and coarse. I have natural curly hair (like a spiral perm) and this is the only thing that helped put the moisture back in my hair. To add curl, I use Abba Instant Recall, works wonders. I use Nourishing leave in conditioner. I'll find out the names of the shampoo and conditioner when I go home for lunch
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Miss Thing, have you tried calling wig stores and asking them what solutions they might have because it seems to me this is probably a common complaint. I sort of recall a woman on the patent reality show, American Inventor, invented something (a 'cooling' hair net?) to make wearing wigs more comfortable for her friend who had undergone chemo. Anyone else remember this? I did many google searches and nothing came up, but hopefully you'll find an answer.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MissThing, my hair started falling out last September - I had the thyroid tests, as hyperthyroidism runs in my family my doctor and I thought for sure that was it. It wasn't - as it turned out, it was stress. I didn't feel THAT stressed...go figure. It has since stopped and seems to be returning to normal, but what I did was cut it ultra-short, stopped dyeing it, and used some hair-thickening mousse (just cheap drugstore stuff, Herbal Essences). It did help mask the problem, but if you want to keep using wigs, I would consult a dermatologist - if it's your thyroid, you need a longer-term solution than someone who is going through something like chemo or temporary hair loss. Good luck.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2373700;
    Miss Thing, have you tried calling wig stores and asking them what solutions they might have because it seems to me this is probably a common complaint. I sort of recall a woman on the patent reality show, American Inventor, invented something (a 'cooling' hair net?) to make wearing wigs more comfortable for her friend who had undergone chemo. Anyone else remember this? I did many google searches and nothing came up, but hopefully you'll find an answer.
    I remember that, Roseskid. It was an absorbent pad that went between the scalp and the wig (another suggested use was for helmet wearers). The men on the panel didn't like it. IIRC, the woman judge almost had a melt down on that one because she couldn't convince them of its value?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread