+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 87 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Thanks. I'll look. It doesn't ring a bell, but I'm not a beauty product person - I don't use make-up, specialty creams, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Thanks Gutmutter and Broadway. I will check those products out. Completely forgot I posted that and forget to follow up. Sheesh.

No AI for me tonight. A 2 hour choir concert at the son's school.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

avy by martinique ANTM Mega Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillibean;2096707;
    Originally Posted by ANTM Mega Fan

Your hair is such a deep level. 7 or 8, you need to use a high lift color, or bleach it a bit first.
    Thank you so much for answering questions!

My hair is so black, and I just want something totally different, like white blonde. I'm so afraid though, going from the darkest possible color to the lightest possible color. Would my hair be doomed if I try it??

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!!!
    "What it do, Shawty?"-Natasha Galkina

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2262480;
    When my hair grew in from bald (chemo) it was a dark, mousey brown - very unattractive (was gold-highlighted auburn before). I started swimming at the Y without a cap and now it has lightened up to a color I like. I know I should start wearing a cap because the chlorine's not good for my hair, but I tried and it pulled and hurt and my hair kept sproinging out of it. Does anyone know specifically what chlorine does? I soak my hair in the shower first and wash/condition it after. Can I get away with it with those precautions? I really don't want to wear a cap, but don't want to ruin my hair either.
    I'm just curious why this happens--does anyone know? Gutmutter isn't the only one I know that's had that experience. Was talking to a woman the other day whose hair had been going gray before chemo and now is brown! Also a completely different texture, from fine to coarse and curly. Is there a pattern to this? What causes it?

Chlorine is a bleaching agent. Just use your shampoos and conditioners.

As for why the chemo changes hair colors and structure, could it be that since the hair on your head is technically "old" hair and not a "fresh" batch growing out that's why it feels different?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That's why it is so thick - everyone else loses hair every day washing and brushing it, but when it comes in after chemo it all grows in at once. I have hardly any gray now and had a lot before I lost it all. It is wicked curly where it was only wavy before. Don't know why.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2275620;
    That's why it is so thick - everyone else loses hair every day washing and brushing it, but when it comes in after chemo it all grows in at once. I have hardly any gray now and had a lot before I lost it all. It is wicked curly where it was only wavy before. Don't know why.
    I actually got so curious I googled this...lots of interesting stuff about the timing of hair loss, the best point in the process to shop for and order wigs (not the same point), eyebrows, painting your head with henna temporary tatoos, and all, but the only explanation I found for the changes in the hair (I think you are right about the density issue)--curliness, color,etc., was that the chemo damages the hair cells some, but as the chemicals get excreted or grown out or something the hair goes back to normal. SOme people did mention that their hair returned to pre-chemo color and condition--so enjoy it while you have it, Gut! A little tiny bit of compensation for what you went through.
    And I know this is a dif. thread, but cute picture of your daughter, and congrats on her "high flying" acheivement!

My mother's hair went from somewhat coarse to this really soft, thick, baby-fine texture and it's maintained it for the past 17 years. It's pretty cool.

Luckily this time around she didn't have to have chemo.. just radiation, so she hasn't lost her hair.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2277492;
    My mother's hair went from somewhat coarse to this really soft, thick, baby-fine texture and it's maintained it for the past 17 years. It's pretty cool.

Luckily this time around she didn't have to have chemo.. just radiation, so she hasn't lost her hair.
    Well then, so much for the so called "scientific" explanation of the hair changes!! So still a mystery.

Re: Hair problem or questions

I have a question. My hair is getting quite dry and tangly so I am using Infusium conditioner which I like. I've tried friz-ease and similar products which cut down on the frizz, but they straighten my hair.

My hair is somewhat naturally curly, but not as much as when I was younger. I'd like to get more of the curls back. My hair is layered and down past my shoulders.

What can I use to get some curl back in my hair, and yet also help the dry ends? I don't really want to go back to a curling iron or hot rollers.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread