+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 87 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair problem or questions

Quote Originally Posted by WomynLee
    ...Now for the best advice and hair investment I can offer: A Solano straight iron (around $100) It's a professional industrial flat iron that can get your hair straight and shiny in a matter of minutes with minimal damage. Just make sure your hair is dry when you use it...you WON'T regret this purchase. Blow outs are a thing of the past. It's the best thing I have ever bought for my hair and worth every penny. For some product details and reviews you can check it out at epinions.com.
    I hear you. Man, straight irons and purple shampoo have given me a whole new look. Too bad the rest of me is middle aged...

Seriously, I look back at pictures of me with my eighties hair - all big, wavy and brassy, and I just cringe. Modern science is great.
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

Thanks for the advice WomynLee. I will make sure to follow it.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

FORT Newbie

Hair Question!

Quote Originally Posted by Jillibean
    Since firegirl brought this up, I thought I would enter her idea.

Anyone have concerns or need advice about your hair?

I`m the Cosmetologist of the house, so I`ll try to answer your questions, or get the answers elsewhere. Hair happens to be about my favorite topic!!
    Hi! My wife's interested in going from brunette to blonde, but she's afraid her hair will get thrashed. She's had it done years before a couple of times, and each time, it got thrashed. She's wondering (and asking me to look into it since I'm more internet saavy! ), does anyone know who does Kelly Rippa's hair?

How does someone like Kelly Rippa go from being a full-blown dark brunette, to a light, natural looking blonde, and her hair still looks like spun silk?

Friends girls, same thing: Aniston, brunette. Kudrow, brunette. Yet their hair looks as soft and healthy and silky as if they were born blonde.

Do expensive, Beverly Hills salons just use products and/or methods (trade secrets?) that aren't known to the rest of the cosmetology world?

What's the secret???!!!?

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu777
    How does someone like Kelly Rippa go from being a full-blown dark brunette, to a light, natural looking blonde, and her hair still looks like spun silk?

What's the secret???!!!?

Thanks!!!
    The secret is a good hairstylist!!

The little that I can tell you is that your wife wants to make sure the hairstylist uses color on her hair...not bleach. That's the first thing that's going to help keep her hair from getting seriously damaged.

I've had a couple of hairstylists tell me that they would only add blonde to my hair that was only a certain degree lighter than my normal haircolor (medium to dark brunette). Even if I wanted it, a good hairstylist would never take my hair to a platinum blonde because it would involve major damage.

There are also some very good deep conditioning procedures available at salons.

Be prepared to pay a hefty price for a serious hair color change w/conditioning.

FYI... Kelly Ripa isn't a dark brunette normally.. she has more of a light brown color. That'll help with the transition.

I hate my hair...it's always dry and it bothers me. :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by Stu777

What's the secret???!!!?

Thanks!!!
    I'm a naturally dark brunette but have been a blonde for about five or six years and don't really have a problem with burnt hair. I have to agree with Broadway. You need a good hair stylist and your wife needs to be prepared to shell out some cash. Mine is done with heavy foil highlights. The "cap" seems to be more damaging and less effective. Personally, I like to go to Aveda salons, because their blonding techniques don't seem to be as damaging to my hair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

If I have a client wanting to go blonde I usually try to determine the level of commitment thet are willing to accept.Often I tend towards the heavy foiling methods as Stargazer mentioned or lightening the whole thing 3 shades lighter and hilighting on top of that, a la Kelly Ripa.Any blonder than that is bleach and toner which can be damaging and you need to make sure you have a good colour technician.
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

FORT Newbie

Thanks (plus)!

Hey, thank you to everyone for the tips!

My wife noticed another one, so I got another one for you: Jessica Alba. Latina. Full-blown brunette. Now she's blonde, and her hair looks like spun silk.

I told my wife what you guys said, and she's like, "Yes, I got 'you need to spend money', 'you need to find someone good'. I knew that."

I'm like, "hey honey, just trying to look into it like you asked me to!" (I love her no matter what color her hair is plus I understand, she's just frustrated. She really wants this and doesn't know where to turn. After all, you kind of only get one shot!)

So, to Miss Alba (and the like): What specifically is/are the names of the treatments and products used to achieve this healthy, beautiful effect?

(Is it as simple as just going into a salon and saying, "foil" and "I'm willing to spend money"?)

Thanks again!

Stu, I think if she just asks around and zeros in on a good stylist, she'll be fine -- the stylist can tell her what to use to keep it healthy.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Stu, I think if she just asks around and zeros in on a good stylist, she'll be fine -- the stylist can tell her what to use to keep it healthy.
    I just want to point out that Kelly Rippa's hair (or Jennifer Aniston's / Lisa Kudrow's) probably would not look like the silk was spun so fine without camera filters and lights, constant attention (who in real life brushes their hair out every few minutes? Kelly, Jennifer and Lisa do when they are on camera. Plus they have the big bucks to get professional conditioning treatments all the time...every day if they need to.

Just like their bodies (nearly impossible for the average woman to aspire to) their hair takes far more commitment (timewise) than anyone with a normal life can do. Plus, there we are seeing wigs in many cases. I believe Lisa Kudrow wears wigs or extensions full time when on camera.

(sorry, getting off my soap box now, but I just shudder when I think of all the people that are seriously trying to reach the illusions we see on TV or magazines)
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread