+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tis the Season

FORT Fogey

Tis the Season

Since I KNOW we don't have any scrooges or grinches on this site,, in light of the fast approaching season.. please share a tradition in your family,, or a great Holiday memory you have..

In my family we always have tons of friends over Christmas eve for dinner, my mom or I make homeade French Onion soup,, a longstanding family recipe. Then after the kids go to bed,, my dad does all this funny stuff to make it look like Santa was there.. in the morning he makes all kinds of noise like he just almost caught him and sort of got in a scuffle with him,, he makes his glasses all crooked,, breathes heavy,, has charcoal (from the fire) on his hands and face.. and tinsel sort of strewn around him and a hunk of white " santa beard" its hysterical,, its a huge story every year how tried so hard and Santa barely got away,, :santawave :santawave :santawink :rudolph :santabear :santagrin :rudolph :rudolph

So,, be a good elf,, and share your story....

FORT Newbie
    The title of this thread makes me laugh - a friend of mine says "Tis the season" everytime she's had too much to drink. It started out during the holiday season one year, and now she'll use it anytime - middle of June, whenever. So whenever we hear those three words, we all look at her with a knowing expression - "Uh oh, watch it, Sharon's drunk!"

Not much of a holiday story I guess, but the first thing that came to my mind.

Welcome Diamonds :wave

I'll post tradition soon... I'm catching up with other posts, but wanted to say hi!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I'll post a tradition later today, but I just had to make two comments:

- Welcome Diamonds

- French Onion soup is one of my all-time favorite foods, and I'm trying to figure out how I can get an invite to Firegirl's Christmas Eve and still get back from Arkansas without completely dissing my family.

I love french onion soup.
    I've had to come up with my own recipe because all the ones I read called for beef broth which I wouldn't eat.
    Christmas sounds like a lot of fun in your house firegirl.

My christmasses have changed since we moved to Canada, what we do depends on who is able to come over to join us.

I will say that we have had our tree and decorations up since October thanks to my overly enthusiastic husband and boys.
    Last edited by fluff; 11-18-2002 at 02:10 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Welcome Diamonds!

My side of the family always has celebrated on Christmas Eve (which works our REALLY well so there's no rotating issues going on).

We all gather early for dinner, sing, eat, clean-up and then we pass out all the gifts (yep, all of them ). Then we go around in a circle from youngest to oldest. Afterwards we play one of the games that my uncle inevitably gets until about midnight, and then all go home.

This allows all of us to sleep in in the morning, and get up and eat breakfast while we open our one "Santa Claus" gift and stocking.

Then we travel a couple hours away to Mr. BF's for Christmas Day lunch.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Hi, Diamonds! Welcome!

I love, love, love, love, LOVE French onion soup!! I'm hitching a ride with Wayner to Firegirl's house. The Santa Scuffle is hilarious, too! A hunk of his beard, no less! Truly inspired!

Christmas Eve is all about decadent snack-eating in my family. We buy bunches of cheese and crackers, smoked oysters, chips, all sorts of stuff. Unhealthy as all get-out. But we just munch all afternoon and listen to Christmas music with a fire going. Just good solid family time. We've done it since I was a kid, and the tradition has continued since getting married.

Fluff, the notion of the tree and decorations up in October is really tickling my funny bone. That's some admirable enthusiasm.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Actually I was hoping to borrow Fluff's enthusiastic family to help with my decorations
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

FORT Fogey
    :santawave All FORT members,, officially invited to my house for French Onion soup Christmas Eve,, 6:00 pm.. FYI, my mom is a master Chef! It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy!

It does have a beef broth base,,, that is the basis for that soup..lol,, the best part of the day I think is when people stop by and catch us all slicing up onions.. we have discovered that wearing skii goggles with kleenex around the edges stops the crying.. so there stands me , mom, and sis,, with the goggles on in the kitchen..slicing away! Hysterical... music in the background..

mmmm mmm
    Oh and bring your kids too...

Sounds good Firegirl. Arkansas is actually on the way to where we are headed so, um, what can we bring?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast