+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tis the Season

FORT Fogey
    haha.. or here is a good one.. just put you finger in and then taste.. if its good make a milkshake w/icecream fantastic!

My traditions have changed... does that mean they are no longer traditions ??

When I was a kid it was nice because we lived so far from any family that it was just US. We would open one present on Christmas Eve, then wake up EARLY Christmas morning and open the rest. We'd have a big brunch then spend the day hanging out.

Now that I'm married, it's crazy.
    Hubby's family always celebrated Christmas Eve (Like Bravo... it's nice as there is no conflict) We drive the almost 2 hours to his parents house. Have a big dinner, the kids go crazy (his parents have 15 Grandchildren and 2 step grandkids) 3 of the grandkids are older so I won't count them ... or one of the step grandkids that won't be there.... we'll have the following age kids running around:
    2- 6yr.
    2- 4yrs
    2- 2yrs

The inlaws always want to wait until midnight to open presents, but we've got them doing it earlier lately. Then we leave there around 2am, get home around 3:45 open presents that Santa has left here while we were gone. Get to sleep around 4:30 wake up at 9 have breakfast then head to either my Moms or my Sisters house to do it with my family.

Only my a few kids there
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Growing up, the tradition was that my folks and I would go to a candlelight service on Christmas Eve, come home and have a very nice meal (usually filet mignon or something similar), then sit around the tree with the lights down low and talk about the past year, past Christmastimes, etc. On Christmas morning Dad would wake us up to the smell of fresh coffee and hot pastry, and the sound of Christmas music. We'd sit around the tree eating breakfast and taking turns opening presents. Then in the afternoon we'd have the traditional holiday turkey feast - some close family friends would come over or we'd go to their house.

The traditions have changed since I got married. For one thing, this will be the first Christmas since then (three years) that we'll even see my folks. Traditions in my wife's family have been adopted, and I like them. The only real difference is that each member of the family spends $10 on a gift, and we do a "Yankee Swap" on Christmas Eve. We draw numbers to determine order. The first person picks a present and opens it. The second person can take the opened gift, or open a new present. This continues until all the presents are opened. A gift can only change hands 3 times. It's a lot of fun!

This year will be interesting. We're having Christmas at our house, but our moms are going to do the cooking as my wife will be recovering from having our daughter on the 16th. I'll probably spend most of my time keeping our son from destroying the tree. It'll be the best Christmas yet!

Christmas this year is going to be hard. My grandfather died this past summer, so it will be really tough for my grandmother, who usually takes care of all the Christmas planning.

On the bright side, for the first time in 10 years, everyone on the other side of my family is able to get together and have a big party.

And Wayner - your daughter is due on Dec. 16? Cool! My sister was born on the 16th too. Watch out though.. she's really headstrong, so if it has anything to do with the birthday.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by Wayner
    Traditions in my wife's family have been adopted, and I like them. The only real difference is that each member of the family spends $10 on a gift, and we do a "Yankee Swap" on Christmas Eve. We draw numbers to determine order. The first person picks a present and opens it. The second person can take the opened gift, or open a new present. This continues until all the presents are opened. A gift can only change hands 3 times. It's a lot of fun!
    We do an ornament exchange in the same manner on Thanksgiving. There is always one really cheap and undesireable ornament that someone gets "stuck" with. Once the game has ended, the person holding the "undesirable" ornament gets a bonus gift. My mom was the first recipient of this tradition. She got a Mr. and Mrs. Clause hand made doll set. The next year Mom and Dad and I made a Gingerbread house and gave a cardboard cutout gingerbread man for the ornament. It was so much fun! You should have seen the look on my 12 yr old cousin's face when we brought out that gingerbread house and gave it to him. He says that he still has the ornament and puts it on the tree every year. Hehe!

FORT Fogey
    Ohh feifer I like that ,, I may have to copy it.. thanks.. see this is what this thread is for!!!lol

We also do a thing around our neighborhood, where you leave a treat on someones steps and tell them they have been Jingled ,,then they have to go do someone else in the area.. if you have been done you leave the little message you got on your door.. we do it at Halloween too,, only we say you have been booed lol

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Good one Fiefer. Actually, my folks and I have also been giving each other an ornament each year for a long time - traditionally opened on Christmas Eve. My folks have given me the "Frosty Friends" series of Hallmark ornament every year since the first one came out in 1981.

Of course, my wife pointed out that "Frosty Friends" isn't exactly a very macho sounding thing for me to say, so we've renamed the series. I now tell folks that ask that I collect the "Kickass Penquin" series of ornaments.

Wayner, Feifer, firegirl. They all sound like cool traditions.

I have a grandma that gives me, my brother, and my sister a christmas ornament with our name on it every year. I think this is the last one though. (Yeah, we never use all of them anyway.)

@ Kickass Penguin

agentcarver
    I'm happy. My Mom has to do the cooking because I did Thanksgiving. Yay me!

When I was a kid we used to go over to my aunt and uncle's house every year for Christmas Eve dinner. One year their entire family was sick and they cancelled at the last minute. We didn't have much in the way of food at our house that night so we heated up some Nalleys Chili and made grilled cheese sandwiches. We set up TV trays and ate in front of the fireplace. We had such a great time that we've done it almost every year since. I know it kind of sounds like a strange tradition, but it's oddly comforting and sentimental, and it represents Christmas to me.
    Last edited by Zhora; 11-19-2002 at 09:32 PM.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast