+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Granny,MiMi, Mama, Grandma, Nanny

FORT Fogey

Granny,MiMi, Mama, Grandma, Nanny

My friend is going to be a grandmother and wants a fun grandma name...
    What do you call yours and do you know any interesting ones??

We called my father's parents Peachy and Darlin because I heard them call eachother that and I thought that was their names so then all the grandkids kept it and forever after she was Darlin and he was Peachy.

So,, let me hear them

i call mine gramma.

Mine have always been Mamaw and Papaw. When I was born my grandmother couldn't pronounce my (real) name, and threatened to shorten it. My father said if she did, he'd teach me to call her Granny. She gave in.
    I did read once about a woman who had never liked her name and always wanted to be something sexier. So when she became a grandmother, she taught her grandchildren to call her "Delilah."
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    I call mine gram. I used to call my father's mother babchi (we're polish)

My nephew calls my mother nanny

I call mine: Popo (maternal) and Nainai (paternal).

Others I've heard: Gemma, Grammy, Nonna, Nonni, Nana, Oma, Baba, Bibi(cute!), Bubbe, Mummum...

My wife called her grandmother - Ummy

Our kids call her mom - Umma

My mom was Gramma

I always called mine Grandmother and Granddaddy, but my hubby and I have decided that when our kids have kids, we want to be called Bud and Nan (which in no way relates to our real names). Our kids hate it and swear that they will never have their kids call us that, but we really like it!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

I wonder what your friend's ethnicity is? I always called my italian Grandma and Grandpa Nonna and Nonno, respectively. Those are the italian words for grandma and grandpa.

My mom has finally become a grandma(4 times in the last year--no, none from me, not married yet!), and I keep calling her Nonna since she always said she wanted to be called that someday. She isnt having it though. She wants to be called grandma now.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    My Czech grandmother was "Baba" and my other grandmother was "Grandma" (original!)

However, my husband's g'ma is Gan and my mother in law is referred to as "Gah" by my daughter. It's funny when I say something about Gah, because people always think I'm saying "God". "Claire's going to God's house???" Noooo... GAH's house

My daughter (two years old) calls my mom "mamaw" which we all hate (we wanted her to call her grandma) and calls my husband's mom "mamoo". We never used either of those, so we don't know where she got them. I guess she just made them up on her own.

We called one of my grandfathers "Poppy" when we were growing up. People barely remembered his real name. Even old ladies he went to church with called him that.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast