+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

I'm an a-plick-able gal.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2231390;
    I'm an a-plick-able gal.
    Me too.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

warsh for some reason does not rub me the way Terlit and torlit do.
    How about Sawl and drawl. As in: I sawl the cutest puppy, lemme drawl a picture of it for you. Ohhh my NH relatives drive me up the WALL with that one.

Now, I may not be wicked smaht sometimes.. but I am pretty sure you can't drawl what you sawl.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I love listening to people from different areas talk. I try to guess where they live. I talk with one woman who was raised in a town about 20 miles from where we live. She has her own way of speaking, and it's difficult at times to know exactly what she means. For example: "It haint no call to put me in the min' of a hospal" which translated meant it did not remind me of a hospital. I had to ask.

Yes, I love local accents as well. Most of my peevy stuff is for written english. I make lots of mistakes too though!

I was at a fast food restaurant last week and the woman running the window (I'd say she was early to mid 30's) was looking for an associate. When she couldn't find said associate, she called another one over instead. Moments later, the original associate appeared. The woman running the window said "Where was you?" That drives me nuts! Learn proper English for crying out loud. The drummer in our music ministry who's also a vocalist is always getting on our cases to pronounce our R's and ennunciate (sp?) While I understand the ennunciation thing (God, not Gawd; Lord, not Lawd; etc...) I keep wanting to tell him that we are New Englander's I've never ever pronounced my R's so it's kind of hard for me to undo 35 years of what I've been used to. I have gotten on the ennunciation bandwagon as well with one of the songs we do. The line is How great is our God and nine times out of ten we don't end our phrases so it sounds like How grey is our Gaw funny I know. We're working on it but there are alot of grammar issues I've noticed where I live and it's driving me crazy.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Oh Lawd, you just tell him to PAHK the CAHR

Some of you with regional pronunciation peeves might be interested in the thread we have on that.

Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2230436;
    chimley for chimney, wheelbarrel for wheelbarrow, and liberry for library. It just makes me cringe a little
    I can almost understand the wheelbarrow one, because it is like a barrel with a wheel on it.

And, the letter R is overrated

Isn't it funny how some of us drop the R's in some places... only to find them, pick them up and toss them them somewhere else. My uncle just Pahked the Cah... if you were heah, you might have SAR him.

But back to less regional errors: If I have to hear one more news reporter talking about the "Cannidates"
    Can-di-date!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread