+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    There's a local tv ad for furniture wherein the furniture shop claims that they are having a sale of "magnanimous proportions" with the comment of "Yeah, that's huge!" It drives me nuts. Sure, the first part of the word has the "magnus" as the root, but the "animus" can't be ignored. People really ought to learn their etymology. Or maybe I need to quit watching local tv commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2225189;
    Lucy was, of course, correct. There is a grammar thread ( or should I say, their is grammar threed).
    Thank you! This is what imagined.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2225225;
    Don't give the broadcast journalists that much credit! When I was in journalism school (broadcast sequence - as is evident by the poor spelling in my posts!) I can remember everyone would joke that if you didn't spell well, or did not have good grammar, then broadcast was the place for you. There was actually one broadcast professor who actually argued to the director of the school that broadcast students should not be subjected to the spelling requirements of other sequences, because broadcast copy is written phonetically, and spelling is irrelevant.
    What? That would drive me nuts! Can you imagine reading the teleprompter and having to sound out a familiar word? If I'm reading one of my students' papers to the class and I see even a simple grammatical error (e.g., to/too/two) I stumble over it.

FORT Fogey
    It really makes it easier. I had to try reading it both ways in a class one time, to illustrate why it's done the way it is. The words flash by quickly enough that many anchors get into a rhythm where they're reading the words without really thinking about the content. (kind of like how when typing, you can think of a word and spell it out without thinking about the spelling). You have to do this, because there can be few enough words flashed up at a time that you don't see the end of the sentence when you start reading it.

If an anchor is not writing for himself, then whoever is writing knows the anchors preference for how words are written out.

So if a sentence were going to be written "Dkembe Muntumbo moved to the United States in 1983" it would be written for the prompter as "De-kem-bay Mun-tum-bow move to the United States in nineteen-eighty-3". So that you're reading it as you are saying it out loud. Once you get used to it, it's MUCH easier. (by the way, i have no idea what year Muntumbo moved to the US - I made it up in order to have a sentence the way I wanted it)

There are some newscasts that link their teleprompter to the closed captioning. When they do that, you can turn it on, and see just how it's written. If you don't know why they're doing it, you'd think the CC operator was illiterate!

I thought this was going to be a thread about Grammars and Grampars! --ok ok boo hiss!

[QUOTE=PhoneGrrrl;2225239;]There's a local tv ad for furniture wherein the furniture shop claims that they are having a sale of "magnanimous proportions" with the comment of "Yeah, that's huge!" It drives me nuts. Sure, the first part of the word has the "magnus" as the root, but the "animus" can't be ignored. People really ought to learn their etymology. Or maybe I need to quit watching local tv commercials. [/QUOT

You could always come watch with me. We have a guy who has been selling "sexual" sofas for years. Why someone hasn't straightened the fool out by now is beyond me.

Muduh, maybe it is just a sexual sofa. Although how anyone can tell is beyond me!

Every day, I hear on my radio about "Atlanta's most dependle weather...I'm meaty-ologist (name)." This drives me especially nuts because the guy doesn't even pronounce his profession correctly!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

meaty ologist *bwahahahaaa* That kills me!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

yeah=yes
    yea=yay

applicable=app-li-ca-ble or a-plick-a-ble? I say app-li-ca-ble

+ Reply to Thread