+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051

Thread: Grammar

Re: Grammar

I can maybe understand abbreviating words and phrases when you are texting on a phone without a qwerty keyboard, but when you are on a computer with a full keyboard, there just isn't any excuse.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate it when people want to use the possessive form of a word, but they never pronounce the "s". Hell, for all I know, maybe they never intend to.

I also have a crabby issue with people using the word "conversate". No....you don't sound anymore intelligent. The word is "CONVERSE"!!! I know school teachers who do this!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Tat one bugs me a lot, too, Shay. Still, nothing tops my all time least favorite phrase intended to make one sound intelligent, which would be using "myself" rather that "me". I suppose it bugs me so bad because someone has to go out of their way to learn to use it casually when I know that the usage of "me" and "I" is thoroughly covered in about first or second grade.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

This is an actual ad from our local freecycle; I would have thought it was a typo, but they did it twice in this ad, and had another ad a couple of days ago with the same error!

Wanted - Remote Parking DOG Collar
    Posted by: "Vxxxxxxxx@bellsouth.net
    Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm (PDT)

If any one has a parking dog collar I can certainly use one. I have 2 dogs that consistently park in the morning until they are fed.
    Located in Temple, I can pick up. Thank you.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

It took me five minutes to figure out that they meant a BARKING dog collar.

+ Reply to Thread