+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051

Thread: Grammar

Re: Grammar

I can maybe understand abbreviating words and phrases when you are texting on a phone without a qwerty keyboard, but when you are on a computer with a full keyboard, there just isn't any excuse.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate it when people want to use the possessive form of a word, but they never pronounce the "s". Hell, for all I know, maybe they never intend to.

I also have a crabby issue with people using the word "conversate". No....you don't sound anymore intelligent. The word is "CONVERSE"!!! I know school teachers who do this!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Tat one bugs me a lot, too, Shay. Still, nothing tops my all time least favorite phrase intended to make one sound intelligent, which would be using "myself" rather that "me". I suppose it bugs me so bad because someone has to go out of their way to learn to use it casually when I know that the usage of "me" and "I" is thoroughly covered in about first or second grade.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

This is an actual ad from our local freecycle; I would have thought it was a typo, but they did it twice in this ad, and had another ad a couple of days ago with the same error!

Wanted - Remote Parking DOG Collar
    Posted by: "Vxxxxxxxx@bellsouth.net
    Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm (PDT)

If any one has a parking dog collar I can certainly use one. I have 2 dogs that consistently park in the morning until they are fed.
    Located in Temple, I can pick up. Thank you.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

It took me five minutes to figure out that they meant a BARKING dog collar.

+ Reply to Thread