+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    its like a certain sect of Nyer.. that says battle as bah'ul and bottle as bawh'ul

makes me want to shoot someone...
    I know I'm guilty of dropping the "T" for several words, but I don't think I've went so far as to pronounce "bottle" "bawh-ul."

My BIGGEST pet peeves have to do with spelling and grammar. They are:

Writing "a lot" as one word. (See sig, LOL)

Using "to" when "too" should be used. For example; I was to tired to continue the race.

Not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're". Example: "Your kidding!"

Saying "I did good" rather than "I did well".

Finally, saying "I seen" instead of "I saw".

Ok I'm going to try my hand at this:

Marley, your to uptight about grammer. I seen others right like I right and I think I did good considering how I always right alot.

But seriously, some mistakes just shouldn't happen. I don't know when people started using "alot", but the usage has been spreading like wildfire.
    Last edited by Zaius; 11-23-2003 at 04:15 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    Ok I'm going to try my hand at this:

Marley, your to uptight about grammer. I seen others right like I right and I think I did good considering how I always right alot.

But seriously, some mistakes just shouldn't happen. I don't know when people started using "alot", but the usage has been spreading like wildfire.

Their their deer, your ok now. Its fine.

Princess
    JD, Zaius,

Actually, I think many people who make those kind of mistakes (to - too, you're - youre) actually know the correct spelling but their fingers type a word that sounds the same. I've seen some of our resident good writers do these kind of mistakes on occasion, and I'm sure they know how to spell .
    Of course, if someone make those mistakes a lot (sic) or consistently, then one must wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    Marley, your to uptight about grammer.
    OMG! What are you trying to do, chase me out of this place? I can't look!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucy was, of course, correct. There is a grammar thread ( or should I say, their is grammar threed).
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Leo
    Premium Member
    You'd think the TV news would have good language skills, but I was pretty shocked by the mistake the local channel did recently. They were talking about how the cold weather in the highlands had affected vegetable farmers, and they kept referring to frostbite instead of frost. Egad.

Heh, Leo. We have a radio station around here where the broadcaster refers to the beginning of the baseball season, prior to the start of the regular season, as "exhibitionist" games instead of "exhibition" games.

The first few times I thought he was simply trying to be funny... but he's been doing it in each and every spring news broadcast for years.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2225202;
    You'd think the TV news would have good language skills, but I was pretty shocked by the mistake the local channel did recently. They were talking about how the cold weather in the highlands had affected vegetable farmers, and they kept referring to frostbite instead of frost. Egad.
    Don't give the broadcast journalists that much credit! When I was in journalism school (broadcast sequence - as is evident by the poor spelling in my posts!) I can remember everyone would joke that if you didn't spell well, or did not have good grammar, then broadcast was the place for you. There was actually one broadcast professor who actually argued to the director of the school that broadcast students should not be subjected to the spelling requirements of other sequences, because broadcast copy is written phonetically, and spelling is irrelevant.

+ Reply to Thread