+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Grammar

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: Grammar

I'm a home-schooling mom, and the thing that drives me crazy is when other homeschool moms have tons of misspellings and grammatical errors when they write! The mistake I see the most is people writing "there" in place of the possesive form, "their". I feel like we come under so much scrutiny already, because of our choice to homeschool, that this type of thing makes it so much worse! I have learned so much, and really worked on better grammar myself, just by studying it with my children everyday. What are these moms doing? I really hope their children are learning proper English - in spite of their moms!

If it helps, my daughter's public school teachers have pretty much all made grammatical mistakes. I tell myself it's typos...even when done in Sharpie.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3819579;
    If it helps, my daughter's public school teachers have pretty much all made grammatical mistakes. I tell myself it's typos...even when done in Sharpie.
    Yes, it helps! Even real teachers make mistakes!Thank you, Hepcat!

Authorities: 2 planes collide in Colorado; 3 die - Yahoo! News

Authorities: 2 planes collide in Colorado; 3 die
    AP

By P. SOLOMON BANDA, Associated Press Writer P. Solomon Banda, Associated Press Writer – 34 mins ago

The three dead came from both of the planes that crashed, Boulder County sheriff's office spokesman Rick Brough said. Authorities we're trying to confirm how many people were flying in the planes.
    From the end of an AP news story on the plane crash in Colorado.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Let's hope that Banda was distracted while preparing that article. I don't want to see anyone else join "The Ridiculous Apostrophe Club."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

This board is paradise compared to the horrible grammar and spelling I have seen on other boards. For me the key is to read over everything before I push the button!!!

And, if you're anything like me, you still miss some things!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3819957;
    Let's hope that Banda was distracted while preparing that article. I don't want to see anyone else join "The Ridiculous Apostrophe Club."
    When I posted that link to the "we're" for "were" story, it had only been up about half an hour, so I figured that the problem would be caught and corrected. Sadly, here it is almost 20 hours later and the story is still current on my Yahoo feed and still wrong.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I've had recent issues with people pronouncing "laptop" as "labtop!!

Reminds me of seeing people write "Baptist" as "Babtist"...and these people are of that religion!!

I think they are, intentionally, trying to eat my heart out.

There's a radio ad for Boar's Head roasted chicken right now that's irritating me to death. The voiceover states "We make our chicken the old fashioned way". Really? Do you mean the part about sitting on the egg or by *&%$# the rooster?
    You can make chicken salad or chicken soup, but you "cook" , "prepare" or in the south "fix" (yes, I know...) chicken, fish, or beef if it's just the meat.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread