+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: Grammar

Snuck is what I'm used to saying/hearing and 'sneaked' just sounds weird . Maybe it's regional?

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;3761008;
    I made the error of posting grammar gripes in Buzz Words. I'll try to contain myself from now on. And here's my grammar thought for today:

I think my all time retchworthy word is "snuck". Yes, I know it's in dictionaries, now included as nonstandard. But in my opinion nonstandard doesn't cut it with "snuck". For chrissake, I've heard news anchors say "snuck". What could they be thinking? "Sneaked" just sounds right, maybe because that's what I learned in grade school.

Ok, a close second: "They hung Saddam Hussein with a rope". If you tell me "That bull is really hung"... well ok, that sounds fine. But I think the evildoer swinging from the rope was actually hanged, not hung. Sorry, I couldn't resist stealing the evildoer word from Dubya.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

You may be right, Archie. I read that snuck started as slang, sort of an accepted alternate vernacular, in the south and worked its way west; now hovering somewhere in the midwest. I'm sticking with my out east formal construct. I dunno, somehow snuck still just sounds wrong.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

I sell avon and used to read their forums a lot. They seem to have created their own language around "sale." A large number of women will say stuff like, "I sale skin so soft" or "I had many sells today." Etc. It absolutely drove me insane to read their forums.

Prism, I don't know when or where I started using snuck but it's one of those words that's hard to change once you've used it for so long.

I have a friend with a southern accent and she spells "on" as "own." It drives me nuts when I see her updates on FB but I'm not close enough with her to say anything. Surely she knows she's spelling it wrong, right? I'm waiting for the day she does an update that needs the real use of the word "own" to see what she does .

It also bugs me when people say or spell "breath" for "breathe" and "bath" for "bathe" (or vice versa) and I've said this one before and it bears repeating again, one of my biggest peeves is when "loose" is used for "lose."
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3761023;
    Snuck is what I'm used to saying/hearing and 'sneaked' just sounds weird . Maybe it's regional?
    My region is Canada, and "sneaked" sounds odd to me as well, though I know it is correct. While there are certain word and phrase misfires that drive me mad, I actually don't object strenuously to many that drive others mad. English is a living language and words have to change to meet the times. My dad wrote a contemptuous article (contempuous is his middle name) about the misuse of the word "awesome" amongst the young folk. I don't mind it, in part because society isn't as solemn as it once was and there is little that actually qualifies as awesome in the original sense, and in part because of the groups of young University grads who start work at our office every year. The are so chirpy and cheerful and when they throw out an awesome because they are pleased with something I've done, it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3761190;
    I've said this one before and it bears repeating again, one of my biggest peeves is when "loose" is used for "lose."
    Hate this, hate this hate this. It is not an example of living language - it's an example of semi-literacy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have a friend who was raised in Appalachia. If he's in his relaxed mode, he says a 2-syllable "Ay-er" instead of "our". He immediately catches/corrects himself...when I just start cracking up! Lifelong habits die hard, I guess.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Shay, I will have to admit that my GA hillbilly accent makes me use 'ire' instead of 'our', and it's only one of the many, many things I say that sound about as dumb as a sack full of hammers; I can use my 'better' grammar when I need to, but I can't say that I try to do much about my accent or pronunciation errors most of the time, unless I go somewhere and just can't be understood. It has happened
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I have an intelligent, well-educated relative who often says "weary" when she means "wary." I haven't had the nerve to correct her!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The woman on Survivor made my ears spin around on the sides of my head when she said "SKIN-tilla" instead of "scintilla". I think I've got a nun's curse one me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw718;3767456;
    I have an intelligent, well-educated relative who often says "weary" when she means "wary." I haven't had the nerve to correct her!
    I've heard a lot of reality tv contestants use this term too. I figure they are combining leary and wary to come up with weary. That's my theory anyhow, but it does make me cringe every time I hear it, then I usually tell them, hasn't seemed to work yet though

+ Reply to Thread