+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: Grammar

I will say jokingly....with no due respect intended. Most have to think twice about what I just said.
    There's no place like home!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

[QUOTE=myrosiedog;3643011;]All languages get bastardized. Every single language develops its own slang and language is ever evolving, it's not static. That said, I like proper usuage, but I'm also not perfect and I tend to slip into a regional version of language with certain speakers and have been known to say "I aint' got none" either when I'm in that regional mode. I do however know the difference and know that it's not correct.

My other pet peeve is "with all due respect". There is NO respect with that sentence. Usually the person using it is getting ready (fixin to in the South. ) to either insult you or tell you that you are wrong about something and they try to cover their butt by using "with all due respect".[/QUOTE]

That's on the same level with using the word 'but'..."Not to change the subject, but..." "I'm not trying to be mean, but..." "No offense, but..." When you throw in that 'but' word, you are really saying, "Forget everything that I said before, and now I'm going to tell you what I really think!" Talk about a rude slap in the face! You ARE being mean, you ARE being offensive, you ARE changing the subject...you just don't want to own it and you hope your phrasing will let you get away with it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have used the "with all "due" respect before and I use it with plenty of sarcasm. There are only 2 times I've used it and for the same person. I was trying hard not to let my evil self come out of my pores and the phrase actually helped me maintain some semblance of humanity. I really wanted to call the person seven kinds of jerk, etc.

Well I know for a fact that my Grammar and Grampar would be amused by this thread. *ducks*

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

With all due respect, Gabriel: booooooo

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3644024;
    Well I know for a fact that my Grammar and Grampar would be amused by this thread. *ducks*
    I've been waiting for somebody to go there......I think about my Grammars and Grampars everytime I see the thread name.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Funny person

- bumping this up for convenience's sake -
    (Discussion in "Buzz Words" is tending toward grammar-related topics.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

OMG, I knew I shouldn't have walked in this door. Not to mention it's 2:00 a.m. Mirror, anyone?
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

I made the error of posting grammar gripes in Buzz Words. I'll try to contain myself from now on. And here's my grammar thought for today:

I think my all time retchworthy word is "snuck". Yes, I know it's in dictionaries, now included as nonstandard. But in my opinion nonstandard doesn't cut it with "snuck". For chrissake, I've heard news anchors say "snuck". What could they be thinking? "Sneaked" just sounds right, maybe because that's what I learned in grade school.

Ok, a close second: "They hung Saddam Hussein with a rope". If you tell me "That bull is really hung"... well ok, that sounds fine. But I think the evildoer swinging from the rope was actually hanged, not hung. Sorry, I couldn't resist stealing the evildoer word from Dubya.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

+ Reply to Thread