+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: Grammar

The phrase that I bothers me the most...."I ain't got no" I hear this at work daily. I shudder each time and will respond "that is two negatives which equals a positive, so you are telling me you do have"
    My mother was a teacher and majored in English. We were expected to speak correctly and enuciate our words.
    There's no place like home!

I feel very sorry for anyone trying to learn the English language, as it is so difficult.
    The problem is further compounded by those who never learned it properly and seek to bastar*i*e it every chance they get.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3639485;
    I thought this particularly annoying bit of lingo had been banned, but I've been seeing the semi-word "prolly" more and more often of late. I don't get this - are people not aware that it's a longer word and contains a couple of "b"s, or is it a genuine piece of newspeak? Whichever, I hate it. It sounds so illiterate.
    Oh my. That one would drive me up the wall! I cannot believe that someone would actually write that as if it were actually a word! Ridiculous!

During the Bachelorette season, it was posted at least once daily.

ClosetRTwatcher, I do see "prolly" online all the time, and I hate it as much as Rattus does.
    I've probably mentioned it before, but one that drives me insane is the improper use of "myself" or "yourself' in place of "I", "me", or "you".
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

First - I have to jump in on "prolly" - grates on my nerves - how difficult is it to spell out probably? It's very discouraging how this word has become acceptable. (lazy?)

Quote Originally Posted by Parasolpink;3639404;
    Oooh I am going to like it here.....

A few pet peeves:
    Love seeing grammar spelt 'grammer'-which no doubt can be attributed to actor Kelsey's popularity!
    'have' written 'of' as in "I would of gone'; 'I could of been'; 'I should of called' etc.!
    The misuse of 'decimate' as in 'The baseball team has been decimated by injuries." It means to destroy one in ten-so that means one player is injured then? Better stick to 'plague' as it's not as specific.
    Describing a number as 'large' or 'small' . As in "A large number of people enjoy swimming." Numbers can only be described numerically - high or low. If a number is large you are referring to its physical properties- it looks like this- 12 !That's a large number!
    If I hear 'exercise regime' on more time! It' not a system of rule or government! A regimen is a regulated course of exercise and nutrition to achieve health.
    If you don't put both accents on 'résumé', yours may be put at the bottom of the pile or rejected.

That's but a few, surely the rest will surface soon enough.
    Oh, Parasol - I thought I was the grammar polcie But thank you for reminding me I'm not the grammar guru I thought I was. All very good points - I will certainly try to adopt your grammar rules into my writing and vocabulary. Where did you learn all of these? It's nice to be reminded once in a while that maybe I don't know everything after all.

One thing I hate is when I get attacked (I have before) for spelling my words with a "u". I come from a Canadian background, I grew up reading Shakespeare, and my grandpa was a loyal subject of the Queen (he never became an American citizen, at least from what I can remember-my grandma did get dual citizenship though) and always spelled everything with a "u" (colour, behaviour, etc). To me, it looks weird when those words are spelled without a "u". I hate how people tell me that I should spell it without "because I'm in America".
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Trista, I have many English friends who also use the u. I find it to be very cultured.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3640648;
    During the Bachelorette season, it was posted at least once daily.
    As was liberal use of "u" instead of "you." Every time I saw that one, I contemplated hitting the "report post" button to point out the use of lingo, but then I thought that the poor mods probably had enough other posts to deal with, and wouldn't want me reporting two thousand posts for breaking the "u" rule, so I decided against it. But I was tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Parasolpink;3639404;
    Oooh I am going to like it here.....

A few pet peeves:
    Love seeing grammar spelt 'grammer'-which no doubt can be attributed to actor Kelsey's popularity!
    'have' written 'of' as in "I would of gone'; 'I could of been'; 'I should of called' etc.!
    The misuse of 'decimate' as in 'The baseball team has been decimated by injuries." It means to destroy one in ten-so that means one player is injured then? Better stick to 'plague' as it's not as specific.
    Describing a number as 'large' or 'small' . As in "A large number of people enjoy swimming." Numbers can only be described numerically - high or low. If a number is large you are referring to its physical properties- it looks like this- 12 !That's a large number!
    If I hear 'exercise regime' on more time! It' not a system of rule or government! A regimen is a regulated course of exercise and nutrition to achieve health.
    If you don't put both accents on 'résumé', yours may be put at the bottom of the pile or rejected.

That's but a few, surely the rest will surface soon enough.
    How do you feel about "begging the question" as most people use it today?

MRD

All languages get bastardized. Every single language develops its own slang and language is ever evolving, it's not static. That said, I like proper usuage, but I'm also not perfect and I tend to slip into a regional version of language with certain speakers and have been known to say "I aint' got none" either when I'm in that regional mode. I do however know the difference and know that it's not correct.

My other pet peeve is "with all due respect". There is NO respect with that sentence. Usually the person using it is getting ready (fixin to in the South. ) to either insult you or tell you that you are wrong about something and they try to cover their butt by using "with all due respect".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread