+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: Grammar

English is the hardest language to learn. In one of my college courses they gave us this test to show us just how hard it is for a Spanish/French/Anything else speaking person to learn English.

Pronounce this word using American English: GHOTI

Answer:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    FISH. The GH is pronounced as in TouGH, the O is pronounced as in wOmen, and the TI is pronounced as in creaTIon.

The first time I saw that I was really surprised at how true the pronounciations fit into that one example and how easily it would be to confuse someone learning English for the first time.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Re: The Grammar discussion

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3633881;
    I'm bumping this so maybe it and "Grammar" could be merged, and we can get back to complaining about the use and abuse of the English language.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

MRD

My biggest pet peeve is when someone uses "quite" for "quiet". When I see "I had a quite night" I want to say: quite what? quite noisy? quite quiet?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

lovelane, striving to be perfect is the easiest way to assure that you won't be perfect. Just try to go a good job, and let it go.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3633955;
    My biggest pet peeve is when someone uses "quite" for "quiet". When I see "I had a quite night" I want to say: quite what? quite noisy? quite quiet?
    Ah yes, the little gems that spell check will never, ever pick up. Lose/loose is a particular peeve of mine.

If you're looking for syntax/usage help, that's a whole other program.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oooh I am going to like it here.....

A few pet peeves:
    Love seeing grammar spelt 'grammer'-which no doubt can be attributed to actor Kelsey's popularity!
    'have' written 'of' as in "I would of gone'; 'I could of been'; 'I should of called' etc.!
    The misuse of 'decimate' as in 'The baseball team has been decimated by injuries." It means to destroy one in ten-so that means one player is injured then? Better stick to 'plague' as it's not as specific.
    Describing a number as 'large' or 'small' . As in "A large number of people enjoy swimming." Numbers can only be described numerically - high or low. If a number is large you are referring to its physical properties- it looks like this- 12 !That's a large number!
    If I hear 'exercise regime' on more time! It' not a system of rule or government! A regimen is a regulated course of exercise and nutrition to achieve health.
    If you don't put both accents on 'résumé', yours may be put at the bottom of the pile or rejected.

That's but a few, surely the rest will surface soon enough.
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

I thought this particularly annoying bit of lingo had been banned, but I've been seeing the semi-word "prolly" more and more often of late. I don't get this - are people not aware that it's a longer word and contains a couple of "b"s, or is it a genuine piece of newspeak? Whichever, I hate it. It sounds so illiterate.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm sure someone who uses "prolly" probably thinks they're being cute. (or else they're totally ignorant)

I usually find a way to call them on it. I ask them what it means.

+ Reply to Thread