+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: The Grammar discussion

As a result of reading about the dog post, I'm cleaning up lemonade from my computer monitor.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3490116;
    "Rehoming" -- what a fun euphemism! So if I sell my car, can I get a higher price if I call it a "re-garaging" fee?
    Probably. And if you ever sell your home, remember to call it "re-familying", so you won't hurt the house's feelings.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I've been reading the Craigslist pet posts for years and have also checked out many of the animals.
    People do tend to get so overly PC on their listings and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets upset with many of these.

PLEASE stop saying you have to 'get rid of' your dog. You 'get rid of' an STD; you hopefully find your dog a better home than you choose to provide. It is heartbreaking to see you care so little for a dog who probably loves you more than life. *Some of you play the cute little game of saying "No rehoming fee, Adoption fees apply" HUH?! CUT THE ****,JUST TELL US HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WANT FOR YOUR BELOVED. You are starting to sound like a used car salesman.
    *STOP blaming your landlord. It is YOUR responsibility, as an adult, to find out what the pet restrictions are BEFORE you bring a dog home.

The item that I've bolded probably gets to the crux of the matter for me, at least. While I totally understand and empathize if / when a new pet causes problems with small children and / or other household pets, the majority of people I've encountered who run these ads have totally selfish reasons for getting rid of their pets. Those are the ones that are most upsetting.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Craigslist forbids "selling" of animals. Only "rehoming" is allowed. Because of this it is quite common to see "rehoming fee" wars going on.
    Such as the forementioned "$250 is NOT a rehoming fee!!!!"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Re: Grammar

Bumpity bump bump bump

Somebody pointed out to me long ago that they can't stand when someone says "different than" because is should be "different from". I had never been taught that, and was careful ever after to use "different from" until it became habit and I noticed when people said "different than". It's one of those grammar details I don't think most people know or care about - sort of like dangling participles.
    Count your blessings!

I am a grammar nazi "in training". My goal is to have perfect grammar when both writing and speaking. My 13 year old son recently corrected me on the "good/well" confusion. I just dusted off my old book from high school: The Elements of Style. I am reading it every night hoping the grammar rules will kick in.

I still get confused on apostrophes though.
    Should it be: Charles' lunch or Charles's lunch? These rules are hard for me to "get".

I wish I had the knowledge a lot of you have but I am attempting to learn

It should be Charles'. When the word ends in S, the apostrophe goes after. Do not make apologies for your grammar, you are asking questions and that is how you learn. We all make mistakes in writing and talking.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3633473;
    It should be Charles'. When the word ends in S, the apostrophe goes after.
    That's what I thought too but in my grammar book it said the opposite. So I researched this and some websites said either is fine as long as it is consistent in the writing throughout and other websites said "Charles's bike" is correct.

Why is English so confusing?

I'm bumping this so maybe it and "Grammar" could be merged, and we can get back to complaining about the use and abuse of the English language.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread