+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: The Grammar discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3427439;
    Cor - generic exclamation
    take a butcher's - look (butcher's hook)
    geezer - bloke, guy, dude
    telling porkies - lie (pork pie - this one I'm guessing on based on my many hours of watching "A Touch of Frost")
    barney - kerfuffle
    if he don't quit. Nuff said, yeah? - self-explanatory

Hope this helps .
    I always thought Barney = Barney Rubble (Trouble!)

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3427508;
    I always thought Barney = Barney Rubble (Trouble!)
    I googled and you are correct. I've always just known it as getting into a kerfuffle without giving any consideration to its origin. English is just sooooo confusing .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Cockney rhyming slang is one of the most fascinating exhibits in the linguistic hall of fame! I studied it (or tried to) as part of a few research projects in some of my linguistics and dialectology classes way back when, and was amazed that anyone could master something so rich in cultural allusion. I'm convinced that it has to be in the DNA . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I love the word kerfuffle!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Okay - you've all gone way over my head, now!!

MRD

Was messing around on Facebook and took one of the million I.Q. tests they have on there. Hard to take the results seriously when they have misspelled "congratulations" as "congretulations" in the results. So not sure if that is part of the test or not. If you can tell they misspelled it, do you get added points?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Today while reading "best of Craigslist" I came across this:

best of craigslist > chicago > Pet Posting Guidelines
    Originally Posted: Thu, 30 Apr 08:35 CDT

Pet Posting Guidelines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2009-04-30, 8:35AM CDT

Some of your posts are painful to read. Do us all a favor and memorize this list.
    *Unless he ate a loaf of bread, your dog is NOT a PUREBREAD, he is a PUREBRED
    *Horses are ‘Thoroughbred’; dogs are not.
    *AKC is NOT proof of breed quality. Two horribly bred dogs can have AKC puppies
    *Rehoming to ENSURE good home, not INSURE good home

*It is spelled:
    Neuter not Nueter or Newter
    Chihuahua not Chiguagua, or Chiuauauaua, or Ciuauaua or Cheewawa
    Rottweiler not Rottwhiler
    Shih Tzu not Shitzoo
    Cocker Spaniel not Cockerspaniol (and they do NOT come in 'miniture')
    Jack Russell Terrier not Jack Rustle Terryor
    There is no such thing as a ‘Golden Lab’
    German Shepherd not Shepard
    Puppy not Puppie
    Very not Verry
    Adoption not adaption
    You had your dog dewormed, not wormed. No one gives dogs worms on purpose

*It is 'a lot' not 'alot'.
    *Multiple dogs 'are'; one dog 'is'
    *YOU didn’t provide a ‘loving forever home’ and you can’t ‘GARENTEA’ that someone else will either…oh and it's GUARANTEE
    *Your dog is 'housebroken' not 'housebroked'
    *Your dog was 'spayed' not 'spade'
    *Your dog was born, not borned.
    *Commas and periods are your friends. USE THEM.
    *YOU DON’T HAVE TO CAPITALIZE YOUR ENTIRE POST, TRUST ME, WE CAN READ IT.
    *Just say ’50.00 adoption fee’. ‘Rehoming fee does apply’ is stupid, evasive, wordy and unnecessary.
    *Every sentence! Doesn’t need! An exclamation! Point!
    *It is not "please only call if your interested", it is "please call if YOU'RE interested". You're is 'you are'. Your is possessive (your hat is nice).
    *There are a few exceptions, but to keep things simple, follow this general rule: 'a' comes before a consonant, 'an' comes before a vowel. 'A cat', 'An apple'.
    *You don't need to clarify that you will only give your dog to a 'good loving home'. It is assumed that decent people are not going to give their dog to a random scumbag. If you are concerned about the quality of the adopter, do a HOME CHECK (you should anyway).
    *Stop threatening to take the dog to the pound if someone doesn't 'save it'. YOUR lack of responsibility is not other people's problem. Also, before threatening us with the pound, take a few minutes to view this video: HBO: Dealing Dogs so that you know what exactly you’re doing to your pet.
    *You interview a PERSON; you do a HOME CHECK. You do NOT interview a house
    'Rehoming fees' are NOT $400.00, nice try, but NO.
    *PLEASE stop saying you have to 'get rid of' your dog. You 'get rid of' an STD; you hopefully find your dog a better home than you choose to provide. It is heartbreaking to see you care so little for a dog who probably loves you more than life.
    *Some of you play the cute little game of saying "No rehoming fee, Adoption fees apply" HUH?! CUT THE ****,JUST TELL US HOW MUCH MONEY YOU WANT FOR YOUR BELOVED. You are starting to sound like a used car salesman.
    *STOP blaming your landlord. It is YOUR responsibility, as an adult, to find out what the pet restrictions are BEFORE you bring a dog home.
    *Stop blaming flaggers for interfering with your dog finding a home. Your refusal to honestly post the rehoming fee is the reason the dog isn't finding a new home.
    *Please Please Please stop giving your pets away for free. People who collect pets for medical research or dog fight bait aren't going to tell you that is why they want your animal. They will seem sincere when they tell you they desperately want to add a new member to their family. A $50.00 adoption fee will protect your pet from many untold horrors.
    *One last thing. If you have an 'accidental litter', and you are asking $250 obo, YOU ARE A BYB. Don't pretend to be a victim of circumstance, or innocent. If it were your teen daughter who got pregnant, we would all understand; you can't spay your human child (although that might not be a bad idea in some cases). You CAN be responsible for your pets though, so it is not an accident if they get pregnant.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Some of those are hilarious,

*YOU DON’T HAVE TO CAPITALIZE YOUR ENTIRE POST, TRUST ME, WE CAN READ IT.

is my favorite.

Good post, except for one thing. Why is this person using the ridiculous term "rehoming fee"? Why not just state the truth, that there are "puppies for sale", if the price is market value, or "adoption fee $xxx" if the dog is mixed breed or priced at a nominal amount for the given breed?
    I cannot stand euphamisms.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

"Rehoming" -- what a fun euphemism! So if I sell my car, can I get a higher price if I call it a "re-garaging" fee?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread