+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: The Grammar discussion

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3419107;
    Whenever I watch Judge Judy, I have to laugh at the way most of the people speak. I just know whenever a plaintiff comes on and speaks well, it's pretty much a "no brainer" that Judy will rule in his / her favor.
    You can tell how frustrated she is with the grammar of most participants.
    I know. I love her reactions to a plaintiff saying they "borrowed" the defendant money.

Reminds me of a teacher I had in high school. We'd complete a test or paper and say, "I'm done." He would always reply, "Done is only in cooking.... you're finished."
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lil Bit, it actually drives me nuts taht web pages say "done" on the corner when they finish loading

I was in Physical Therapy this morning, and there was this very, very loud woman telling her therapist her life story and current school woes, in such a big voice I couldn't help hearing it all the way across the room. She complained and complained that a partner on a pairs project had the audacity to edit HER part to fit into the whole report --all editing should have been on the other woman's half, I guess. But I'm glad I was lying on my tummy when she busted out with "You just don't know-- when they in graduate school, they knows everything!
    I couldn't even laugh...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Anymore, the saying around here is, "Stick a fork in me. I'm done!"
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3419463;
    . . . She complained and complained that a partner on a pairs project had the audacity to edit HER part to fit into the whole report --all editing should have been on the other woman's half, I guess. But I'm glad I was lying on my tummy when she busted out with "You just don't know-- when they in graduate school, they knows everything!
    I couldn't even laugh...
    Oh good lord -- iffin dat ain't tellin', ah dunno whut iz!
    (Bless her heart . . . )
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

do you say "properly followed" or "followed properly"

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3417839;
    This is just way too out there to put in any other thread - yes, I have been a grammar geek since childhood. (Good grades, no friends.) Anyway, I was always under the impression that the saying was "all of a sudden", but lately I hear and read people saying "all the sudden" or "all of the sudden". Certainly I shouldn't be losing sleep over it - but every time I hear it - my brain just gets a little bit more fried. And I don't have enough of it left to fry - especially over "a sudden" or "the sudden".
    Heh...you were correct and it is "a sudden." But I'd opt for MRD's change.

My latest reoccurring gripe is "good ON you" used instead of "good FOR you!" I watched Brian Williams on the news use that phrase and I find it just as puzzling as always. I just don't understand what they're trying to accomplish with the choice of verbiage. I would think it's an East Coast colloquialism as that region is (in)famous for the "I was waiting online to buy movie tickets" instead of "I was waiting in line to buy movie tickets."
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3425527;
    do you say "properly followed" or "followed properly"
    I am very, very tired so I can't quite come up with a sentence where those words would sit together without a qualifier, but with the qualifier, it would depend upon your intent. If someone "followed instructions properly", then that person read the instructions and did what was required as decribed in the instructions. If they "properly followed instructions", then that person read the instructions and followed them, as should be done - whether they followed them properly is another issue entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3425556;
    My latest reoccurring gripe is "good ON you" used instead of "good FOR you!" I watched Brian Williams on the news use that phrase and I find it just as puzzling as always. I just don't understand what they're trying to accomplish with the choice of verbiage. I would think it's an East Coast colloquialism as that region is (in)famous for the "I was waiting online to buy movie tickets" instead of "I was waiting in line to buy movie tickets."
    It's actually an Australian colloquialism and it annoys me, much as another Australian colloquialism "no worries" annoys me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3418898;
    When in doubt, use suddenly.
    - that's genius!

And Rattus - "no worries" has bothered me since the first time I heard it. No matter how I say it, what context I use it in - those two words just don't belong together!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3425559;

It's actually an Australian colloquialism and it annoys me, much as another Australian colloquialism "no worries" annoys me.
    We don't hear that in this area; instead, it's "no problem" or 'not a problem' as an answer to "thank you" instead of "you're welcome"or even when you finish placing an order in a restaurant or otherwise require paid help.
    Statement: "I need an oil change and new wiper blades.
    Reply: "no problem. "

I certainly hope I'm not troubling you with my business, doofus!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread