+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The Grammar discussion

It cracks me up to hear somebody ask "Are you bein' have?" I guess that's a rendition of behaving!

I also have a bit of an issue with people who can't say 'jewelry', and they say 'jewry' or 'jew-lery'. Now, mind you, they have no trouble saying the singer's name, Jewel...but they just can't seem to add the "-ry" on the end to get jewelry!!!

Makes me nuts!!!

And we can add "should of" and "would of" to that list, too!!! Growl, Grumble!!!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-19-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3417927;
    I have a cousin who not only says "all of the sudden" but also says "should of and would of" I knew there was no hope for her after she shared a story about going to the bank to sign an "after-David"
    I usually pronounce them as "should of" and "would of," or, as I prefer to think of it, "should've" and "would've."

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3418002;
    It cracks me up to hear somebody ask "Are you bein' have?" I guess that's a rendition of behaving!

I also have a bit of an issue with people who can't say 'jewelry', and they say 'jewry' or 'jew-lery'. Now, mind you, they have no trouble saying the singer's name, Jewel...but they just can't seem to add the "-ry" on the end to get jewelry!!!

Makes me nuts!!!

And we can add "should of" and "would of" to that list, too!!! Growl, Grumble!!!

If I'd seen this post earlier, I would of responded then, because I should of. But I'd rather watch tv then play on this silly grammar thread.

*sigh* Doesn't it just make you wonder if people who speak like that even know what the words mean? Or are they just making noises that sort of resemble sentences?

Okay, okay - I'm officially off my rocker now.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Mine: a sudden.

In elementary we had to read out loud and I had the word "salmon". I was taught phonetically and read sal-mon. My teacher laughed and said "you prounouced that wrong-it's sah-mon" so I've known ever since then how to pronounce the silly word.

Famita, I know better, but if you are a several generation southerner, it is salmon with an L. And QQ on the can
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3417926;
    Thank you thank you - all of you. I've only begun hearing "all of the sudden" recently - and I've seen it written, also. Mama C, I had the same question - what is the sudden?

I did know the thee/the rule, however.

Wow - I feel so much better now - hopefully I'll be able to get back on my regular sleep schedule.

i think all of a sudden sounds more correct

MRD

When in doubt, use suddenly.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What about "Make yourself T'home," as opposed to "Make yourself AT home."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

While I try to use proper grammar in business or better social occasions, I celebrate the diversity of speech we have here in America.

And one of the best resources for it is the Dictionary of American Regional English.

Our history, our ancesteral heritage, our immigrant status (first generation American, new immigrant or 5th generation immigrant), our culture, our region contributes to how we speak. Personally I love hearing regional speech, it's interesting. And it's disappearing as our country becomes more homogeneous.

Good resource for regional English:

The Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE) is a reference tool unlike any other. Its aim is not to prescribe how Americans should speak, or even to describe the language we use generally, the "standard" language. Instead, it seeks to document the varieties of English that are not found everywhere in the United States--those words, pronunciations, and phrases that vary from one region to another, that we learn at home rather than at school, or that are part of our oral rather than our written culture.
    DARE WEBPAGE
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Whenever I watch Judge Judy, I have to laugh at the way most of the people speak. I just know whenever a plaintiff comes on and speaks well, it's pretty much a "no brainer" that Judy will rule in his / her favor.
    You can tell how frustrated she is with the grammar of most participants.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread