+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: The Grammar discussion

This is just way too out there to put in any other thread - yes, I have been a grammar geek since childhood. (Good grades, no friends.) Anyway, I was always under the impression that the saying was "all of a sudden", but lately I hear and read people saying "all the sudden" or "all of the sudden". Certainly I shouldn't be losing sleep over it - but every time I hear it - my brain just gets a little bit more fried. And I don't have enough of it left to fry - especially over "a sudden" or "the sudden".

Don't feel bad, JD. My peeve is often when people pronounce it offen. I know that is also right, but the "T" is there, dammit, use it. I know...I can't be a true Utahn if I insist on pronouncing the "T"

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3417855;
    Don't feel bad, JD. My peeve is often when people pronounce it offen. I know that is also right, but the "T" is there, dammit, use it. I know...I can't be a true Utahn if I insist on pronouncing the "T"
    So we're going with "all of the sudden" then?

Suddenly, my entire (grammar) past is flashing before my eyes - how could I possibly have been wrong all these years?

I'm still going to say "a sudden', I think (IN my head, or when writing) . But no matter, I'm a Hillbilly and we drawl it all together so it sounds like one word, and the same using either word. "Allvusuddun" or something like that.

Dagwood, I like to go fishing for salmon--which we don't have here (other than in a can with two Qs on it. And when I go where they do have them, I KNOW not to say "saLmon" pronouncing the "L". But, it still falls out about half the time. Especially If I get excited-- "I'm pretty sure this ain't a trout, this time--I bleeve this'un must be a saLmon, it's pullin' so hard!"
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3417867;
    So we're going with "all of the sudden" then?

Suddenly, my entire (grammar) past is flashing before my eyes - how could I possibly have been wrong all these years?
    I have always said "all of a sudden" not "the"

Queenb, I didn't even think of salmon...I don't pronounce the l in that. I guess that makes me a grammar hypocrite.

I've never heard anyone say....all the sudden or all of the sudden. What is the sudden?

I've always said/heard....all of a sudden.

Here's one my past......when using the word THE, if it is before a word starting with a vowel it is pronounced THEE; if it is before a word starting with a consonant, it is pronounced THUH. I hear it pronounced incorrectly all the time. Thuh airplane took off on time rather than THEE airplane took off on time. THEE two of us went for a jog rather than thuh two of us went for a jog.

I know that one nun, Sr. Mary Xavier, is spinning in her grave!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't realize there was a rule for the proper pronunciation of thee vs. thuh (I always assumed thee was standard and thuh was southern). Glad to learn something new!
    remember to play

Thank you thank you - all of you. I've only begun hearing "all of the sudden" recently - and I've seen it written, also. Mama C, I had the same question - what is the sudden?

I did know the thee/the rule, however.

Wow - I feel so much better now - hopefully I'll be able to get back on my regular sleep schedule.

I have a cousin who not only says "all of the sudden" but also says "should of and would of" I knew there was no hope for her after she shared a story about going to the bank to sign an "after-David"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3417927;
    I have a cousin who not only says "all of the sudden" but also says "should of and would of" I knew there was no hope for her after she shared a story about going to the bank to sign an "after-David"
    Wow. I was raised saying all of the sudden and it never occured to me that it was ever said any other way!

ETA: That doesn't mean I believe I was saying it correctly though. My family has been known to show their lack of education in many many ways. This is just another example
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread