+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: The Grammar discussion

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3386038;
    I usually refer to the Chicago Manual. . .
    So do I, since it's the "bible" for my publishing clients. This particular issue regarding closing quotation marks and other punctuation, including the alternative Oxford system, is covered in CMOS 15 (Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition), sections 6.8 - 6.10.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3386057;
    So do I, since it's the "bible" for my publishing clients. This particular issue regarding closing quotation marks and other punctuation, including the alternative Oxford system, is covered in CMOS 15 (Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition), sections 6.8 - 6.10.
    Ellen, you are my hero. Although my posts do not reflect it - I can be a stickler. I use the manuals you speak of, but in legal writing, there is also what is called a "Blue Book" I couldn't do without. So, I too, am a

ps. I have a thing for flamingos, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3385212;
    Me too. You must have (or would have) loved the recent Bachelor's speech patterns.

Other pet peeves of mine: you're/your, there/their/they're, would/could/should must "of" instead of "have" and any instance of "u" instead of "you," even in a text and especially in an email or other typed message.
    Jason's speech was annoying and it was difficult in that most of the girls spoke in that very same manner.

Along the lines of your second comment... using "I could care less" when they truly mean "I could not care less" is a grammatical oddity. I don't think people stop and actually THINK about what they're saying and the meaning behind their sentence. I'm not a grammar gestapo, but occasionally I'll ask a guilty party when they say "I could care less" incorrectly "Oh, so you do care then?" Normally I just cringe.

[quote=J.D.Rock}When I read a statement that confuses "then" with "than", I wonder if this person actually knows how to read. [/quote]

Oh... I've previously mentioned my aversion to grammatical errors in signage. () There was a hair salon that opened in our town 10-15 years ago with a sign that read "More Then Hair." Sorry, but I had to walk in and subtly tell the owner that it should read "More Than Hair." How does that crap get through the multiple people required???? It was changed within a month or so.
    Last edited by Broadway; 03-18-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

It is a shame that so many depend on spell checking when writing - some words may pass the spell test but have no reason to be used the way they are.

I was reading over a paper my daughter wrote for class, and she repeatedly used the word 'till' instead of 'until'. She did have ADD and dyslexia in her early days of school and missed so much of the basics that have just been incorporated into her writing now. I wish I could talk her into a remedial writing course.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3386228;
    It is a shame that so many depend on spell checking when writing - some words may pass the spell test but have no reason to be used the way they are. . .
    I'm glad they do; it helps keep people like me and J.D. in business!

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3386228;
    It is a shame that so many depend on spell checking when writing - some words may pass the spell test but have no reason to be used the way they are.
    Like using "loose" when one means "lose." I can almost understand that one because they're looking for the sound of the double o, but how do you get into your 20s, 30s, 40s, and beyond without realizing your error?

Using "opps" instead of "oops" doesn't get the same break. :nono
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3386239;
    I'm glad they do; it helps keep people like me and J.D. in business!
    Shouldn't that be "J.D. and me"???
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3388411;
    Shouldn't that be "J.D. and me"???
    That's right, Newf! You passed my test!

Nice save.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3388408;
    Like using "loose" when one means "lose." I can almost understand that one because they're looking for the sound of the double o, but how do you get into your 20s, 30s, 40s, and beyond without realizing your error?

Using "opps" instead of "oops" doesn't get the same break. :nono
    Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that when you speak more than one language, sometimes the divide between English/other becomes blurred. So, what appear to be careless spelling errors are sometimes a language confusion. For instance, Spanish uses almost no double letters. After living in that environment for 8 years, I now have some trouble with English words when previously I have been an excellent speller. I have to admit though, most of the time I just don't proofread closely enough.

+ Reply to Thread