+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Re: The Grammar discussion

I keep hearing too many people using "a" instead of "an" in front of a word that begins with a vowel. A elephant, a educational guess, a interesting storyline, a orange rather than "an elephant, etc." It drives me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3384358;
    I keep hearing too many people using "a" instead of "an" in front of a word that begins with a vowel. A elephant, a educational guess, a interesting storyline, a orange rather than "an elephant, etc." It drives me nuts!
    I think those are the same people who will "aks you if you want a orange".
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

I'm fairly tired of the names with apostrophes in the beginning or middle of a name. Like M'chell. Just spell the name out, quit with the apostrophe.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I wonder if that's a regional thing. I haven't seen it at all and I teach every kid that comes through the school system.
    Count your blessings!

MRD... that's pretty common around here as well, although it does tend to be an inner city trend.

I normally avoid this thread as grammatical errors can tend to make me shiver as if I were hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. But you've named some of my worst offenders -- apostrophes in plural words (!!!!), apostrophes in the incorrect spots when showing possession (I have to drive by this house with a sign indicating "The Parker's" all of the time. One of these days I'm going to make a new one that says "The Parkers' " and replace it!), "him and I" at the beginning of a sentence, "I seen this movie....", etc.

I wasn't aware that the 's after a name ending in s had become acceptable, either. But then I was surprised during one of my first MBA classes when I was advised that you no longer needed to add two spaces after a period. One space is now the acceptable (and APA dictated) rule. As you can see... this old fuddy duddy still can't get used to it. I have to remind myself when typing papers. UGH.

MRD... you know the true Southern thing of beauty is when "Ain't y'all fixin' to carry your car to the shop?"
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

But then I was surprised during one of my first MBA classes when I was advised that you no longer needed to add two spaces after a period. One space is now the acceptable
    Not to me, it isn't
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3384859;
    I have to drive by this house with a sign indicating "The Parker's" all of the time. One of these days I'm going to make a new one that says "The Parkers' " and replace it
    Perhaps there is one person by the name of The Parker, and he is letting you know that this is HIS house

I was advised that you no longer needed to add two spaces after a period. One space is now the acceptable (and APA dictated) rule.
    Not acceptable to me, it isn't, and I have the continuing battles with our proofreading department to prove it.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3384867;
    Perhaps there is one person by the name of The Parker, and he is letting you know that this is HIS house
    I have considered that... and it's the only thing holding me back at this point.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3384859;
    (I have to drive by this house with a sign indicating "The Parker's" all of the time. One of these days I'm going to make a new one that says "The Parkers' " and replace it!),
    There's a whole subdivision near here like that! I guess the homeowner's association dictated that every home should have a sign announcing its contents, and had these made. I'm glad I don't really have to be over there often, because it drives me crazy. At the same time it makes me wonder about the 200+ families that apparently don't know or care that the signs that are incorrect, and then I wonder more why anyone would agree that they MUST have a sign out front. What if events became such that you might not want anyone to know exactly which house is yours?
    Yes, I do tend to overthink things sometimes. It keeps me from dwelling on important matters.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

One space after a period is OK now!? A side effect of our text crazy society I'm sure.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread