+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

I have several pet peeves when it comes to grammar.

first is 'u' like 'take me with u'.

another is 31337 speek. 'phear me', doesn't do anything for me.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Don't ever read my recaps. You will want to shoot yourselves, or more likely shoot me.

Don't get some people started on proper quotations and ellipsis's

... (mad with power)... or is that . . .
    *runs*

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    I have several pet peeves when it comes to grammar.

first is 'u' like 'take me with u'.

another is 31337 speek. 'phear me', doesn't do anything for me.

What the hey is 31337 speak? Am I really that old?

Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    (which use my worst pet peeve: till. People! It's an abbreviation for until. 'til. get it?)
    I have great news for you JD, you can drop that pet peeve now!

till
    prep.
    Until.
    conj.
    Until.

[Middle English, from Old English til, from Old Norse.]
    Usage Note: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred: Until you get that paper written, don't even think about going to the movies.·Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un-, meaning "up to." In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.
    Link

Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    What the hey is 31337 speak? Am I really that old?
    Yes you are that old . "31337 speak" is a "hacker language" (1337 seems to be what they call it for short these days). Do a search for 1337 at some search engine and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about it... (It's very annoying, but fun to make fun of...)
    ETA: 1337 means "leet" (1 = l, 3 = e, 7 = t)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Miss
    Well I am the worlds worst speller, and until someone figures out how to add a spell check onto these things, I will continue to be so!
    I'm with you, can barely manage here without my spell checker. But I keep trying (and misspelling)
    I'm not sure why but I just had an insane urge to add a sheep to my post. Must be something sublimual, that and I"m now having a sudden craving for Kool aid. (I'm thinking if I just ignored my husband's teasing and paid the $24 a year I would fully understand all this sudden yearnings)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Princess
    Nancy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    I have great news for you JD, you can drop that pet peeve now!

Link

Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.

I'm going to start by saying, I do not intend to create a geekfest here, although I am the biggest geek ever.

What I have learned (from my editing point of view) is that 'til is the preferred spelling. Although there are several words that have been changed and adapted over the years, the "preferred" spelling is usually the standard. Take the word "judgement" for example. The common spelling now is "judgment". You can relax - I'm not even going to start on ensure vs insure.

Now I have to find out if there is a "geek protection plan" thru the government, and also find a great plastic surgeon, because if I am ever discovered to be such a geek, I'm quite sure someone will pop a cap in my a$$.

Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln who once said he couldn't respect a man who could think of only one way to spell a word? (His excuse for his poor spelling.)
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Terena79
    Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln who once said he couldn't respect a man who could think of only one way to spell a word? (His excuse for his poor spelling.)

Abe Lincoln? No, I'm pretty sure it was Linkin Park.

+ Reply to Thread