+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Thanks, Amanda, that's what I thought.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    I agree with it being a silly variant. I wasn't trying to be persnickety, just that I thought it was a word that shouldn't even be... sorry if it seemed like I was picking at it.

I think "irregardless" is a word, too. If you say something wrong long enough it eventually ends up in the dictionary. Coming soon: "conversate."

Re: Grammar

I need someone to please settle this "argument" my husband and I are having. He says that if I write "Did you know that it's warm outside", I should not end it with a question mark because it's not a question (according to him, questions start with what, where, who, how, when). I think it's obviously a question because it requires an answer. It's just not an open-ended question. So who's right?

I vote that it's a question and should have a question mark at the end. It's the same as if someone asked the question, "Did you go to the store?" That's obviously a question, and doesn't start with what, where, who, how, or when. So does he think that sentences that start with "why" aren't questions either? (Hey, I started a question with "so" and put a question mark at the end!) Honestly, men say some of the dumbest things sometimes!

You're right, DR. If you said "It's warm outside" then you don't need a question mark. If you use the phrase "did you know" you do use a question mark because it's a direct question - the sentence requires an answer. Questions don't only begin with the "5 W's."

Here's a good site that explains when you do and don't use question marks. (he might be more willing to believe the site than someone who's on Fort with you! )
    http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000065.htm
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2931260;
    Honestly, men say some of the dumbest things sometimes!
    Isn't that the truth! It's like his reasoning his stuck beyond logic. He should be ashamed of himself. He went to English school and has two bachelor degrees. I only went to college in English and it's my third language, after French and Italian.

I'm off to make fun of him...

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2931260;
    Honestly, men say some of the dumbest things sometimes!
    One of the dumbest things I ever said was "Will you marry me?"

The only thing dumber is "I do!"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

See? You just proved my point!

+ Reply to Thread