+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2242160;
    Aight, this thread has brung me to the realization that I ain't got no good grammar, nuh-uh. I hope I will be forgived. Today I am going to the liberry to fetch me a wheelbarrel of books that will help me correct my myriad of mistakes.
    Then you can come back and learn us a few, k?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGirl;2242138;
    I cant stand it when people say "ain't."
    I use "ain't." Not regularly, usually just to be funny, but it IS a regionalism (or colloquialism, whatever), and I grew up hearing it from aunts and uncles and cousins all the time.
    I know it's in the dictionary, though, because when I was very young, I got mad at a boy at my babysitter's who used "ain't," and asked my dad, when he came to pick me up, to tell that boy it wasn't a word. He wouldn't, he said it wasn't proper English but it was a word.

Double negatives have become trendy around here. *ug*
    For example:
    Instead of saying something is "The coolest thing ever"
    All of the "hipsters" say "It's not not the coolest thing ever"
    It get's old.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

"It's not not..."? That really is not not annoying.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken .

I don't not agree with you.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

This trend must be why my daughter said a triple negative the other day instead of just saying what she wanted to say. I told her that was stupid, don't waste words and don't do it again

Around here people pronounce ornery as on-ry. Guess they don't know about that 1st "r" in the word. I just looked it up to see if perhaps it had an acceptable 2nd pronunciation but at least in dictionary.com it didn't. It's pronounced awr-nuh-ree just like I've heard all my life. Once when I mentioned it to a friend down here she asked how it was spelled, and once I told her she did agree that it should be prounced with that "r"

Please feel free to pm me if you find my grammar off at any time. Sometimes I type so quickly then I do not proof read my posts and off they go to be criticized in a good way. Your posts here are quite funny to read to say the least!
    Last edited by buglover; 02-15-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: stupid spelling mistake...:)
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2242160;
    Aight, this thread has brung me to the realization that I ain't got no good grammar, nuh-uh. I hope I will be forgived. Today I am going to the liberry to fetch me a wheelbarrel of books that will help me correct my myriad of mistakes.
    Thass wunnerful ! Then we can axe you lotsa stuff !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2242440;
    Thass wunnerful ! Then we can axe you lotsa stuff !
    Oh I hear people axing questions all the time at the mall!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2242183;
    I use "ain't." Not regularly, usually just to be funny, but it IS a regionalism (or colloquialism, whatever), and I grew up hearing it from aunts and uncles and cousins all the time.
    I know it's in the dictionary, though, because when I was very young, I got mad at a boy at my babysitter's who used "ain't," and asked my dad, when he came to pick me up, to tell that boy it wasn't a word. He wouldn't, he said it wasn't proper English but it was a word.
    Dont hide! I have said it from time to time too. Its just one of my little pet peeves.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

+ Reply to Thread