+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2240093;
    My mother pronounces "Italian" as eye-talian instead of making the first syllable sound like "bit" or "sit."
    You could ask Mom to show you EYE-taly on the map !

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2239990;
    My preference is for foy-ay because it's a French word and that is the proper French pronunciation. The other pronunciation has become acceptable through repeated misuse throughout the years, much like nucular will someday be acceptable, and orientate, irregardless and normalcy have become acceptable.
    Those drive me crazy, as well as when people say a myriad of instead of just myriad or say people that instead of people who.

As an example:

NOT:

John has a myriad of responsibilities as he is the man that runs the FORT.

BUT:

John has myriad responsibilities as he is the man who runs the FORT.
    Last edited by echo226; 02-14-2007 at 02:09 AM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I think both are correct--it just depends if you are using "myriad" as a noun or an adjective. It can be both.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2240666;
    I think both are correct--it just depends if you are using "myriad" as a noun or an adjective. It can be both.
    You are correct and I didn't realize this so I just learned something new.
    I learned that myriad" should be used with something countable, so I guess you could say "a myriad of responsibilities" (where it is a noun) or "myriad responsibilities" (where it is an adjective), but the latter just sounds "more" right to me. I think used here as a noun it clutters the sentence with excess words. I guess I always considered it an adjective rather than a noun and thought using it as a noun was incorrect, but I just read that myriad started out as a noun.

Thanks for the heads up.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2240454;
    I have been known to use it.......not all the time though....

I'm starting to feel a little paranoid about my use of the English language now....Ok..so now I've got to worry about not using lingo but making sure I use correct English....
    Aww don't worry on my behalf! Until I found it online, I just wasn't sure it was a word... or something my crazy family made up. I do believe I may have a few of those words tucked away somewhere inside me. *made up ones I mean*
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2230436;
    chimley for chimney, wheelbarrel for wheelbarrow, and liberry for library. It just makes me cringe a little
    Holy Moly. Don't hate me, canuck, but I SERIOUSLY thought it was spelled and pronounced wheelbarrel. Oh man, I feel dumm (<<-----intentional).

Hey Jewelsy...I could never hate you!! And anyways, it is more of a slight pet peeve. I wouldn't have any friends if I was that petty! If we ever meet, I'll take you for a wheelbarrel ride.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Hee. But seriously, that was embarrassing. In fact, when I first read your post I thought you were getting them mixed up (which was correct and which wasn't).

I guess it goes to show that no matter how young or old we are, we're always in a constant state of learning, which is a good thing. . . we need to keep that gray matter in check.

Oh, and my grammar peeve: double negatives. "She ain't got none." *cringe*

I cant stand it when people say "ain't."
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGirl;2242138;
    I cant stand it when people say "ain't."
    and written it is even worse

I hate it when people say "aight" as in "all right".

Aight, this thread has brung me to the realization that I ain't got no good grammar, nuh-uh. I hope I will be forgived. Today I am going to the liberry to fetch me a wheelbarrel of books that will help me correct my myriad of mistakes.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread