+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2239836;
    Hi, My name is Broadway and I am an ellipses addict.

My 7 year old nephew corrected me last night when I wrote something as ".... and I" and told me that I was only supposed to have 3 dots, not 4. I am a bad influence.
    Hi, Broadway ! I've admitted I am powerless over ellipses and my dots have become unmanageable !

I'll stand behind more dots just signifying a longer pause .... perhaps reverie ........ no ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Well anyone that has looked at ANY of my posts know that I am notorious for lots and lots of dots.....

Now if John and the mods here start giving infractions for dots...well then I think I am up that proverbial creek without a paddle.......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2239921;
    Foy-er as opposed to foy-ay - arrrggghhhh!
    I can't tell from your post which you prefer, but dictionary.com lists both of these as pronunciations--although foy-er is listed as the first.

It's always strange when words have 2 acceptable pronunciations though. I remember my mom and aunt discussing coupon (coo-pon or q-pon). Turns out both of those are correct too.

And I only went to look because your post had me wandering which is correct, since I've heard both.

My preference is for foy-ay because it's a French word and that is the proper French pronunciation. The other pronunciation has become acceptable through repeated misuse throughout the years, much like nucular will someday be acceptable, and orientate, irregardless and normalcy have become acceptable. Maybe it's because I'm from a land where French is an official language, even though I unfortunately don't speak French, but the misspeaking of various French words just bugs me - like Callus (as opposed to Callay), Maine and Du Boys (as opposed to Du Bwah), Pennsylvania.

FYI, I'm not quite as snobby as I come across in print .
    Last edited by Rattus; 02-13-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Disclaiming an apparent character defect.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I am with you guys who have troubles hearing anything after a word that is pronounced in a displeasing way. My husband says Que-pon instead of cou-pon. Although I know it it's not wrong-wrong.. "COU-PON" comes out of my mouth before I can stop myself.
    I also dislike Foy-er.
    Also:
    Aunt is not the same as Ant :nono
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Well now you're picking on regional pronunciation. I think AHHnt (aunt) sounds incredibly snobbish and I've lived in New England almost 30 years. Everyone in my family is ANT (aunt) Barbara, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2239926;
    I'll stand behind more dots just signifying a longer pause .... perhaps reverie ........ no ?
    I'll go with that one, but now bbnbama has me looking over my shoulder for John and his infraction axe.

My mother pronounces "Italian" as eye-talian instead of making the first syllable sound like "bit" or "sit."
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2240081;
    Well now you're picking on regional pronunciation. I think AHHnt (aunt) sounds incredibly snobbish and I've lived in New England almost 30 years. Everyone in my family is ANT (aunt) Barbara, etc.
    Most people I know say ANT down here, also. When you want to talk about the insect, they're called fireants.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I'm a 1/2 NE girl... My NE family says Aunt. My NY family says Ant.
    Ahh well.

Waywyrd: Do you only have the red Ants down where you are?
    or do you just call all of them fireants?

You know, like those crazy states that call every kind of soda "coke"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;2240149;
    Waywyrd: Do you only have the red Ants down where you are?
    or do you just call all of them fireants?

You know, like those crazy states that call every kind of soda "coke"
    I'm guessing this is one of the states near me, and yes, we always say "coke" for soda!
    As to the ants, fire ants are a certain kind of ant; they aren't the big red ones, but are kind of not quite black, more like dark brown.
    They're called that due to the powerful burning and pain that comes when they bite.
    And yes, we pronounce Mom's sister "ant" here too.

I have more problems with written grammer myself, as I accept that regional use varies. How boring would it be if all of our accents and terminology were the same? Besides, I sound like the biggest hillbilly in the holler, and I'm not even fixing to try to change my sound!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread