+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2237442;
    It irks me that the comma rules have changed since I learned them. When I was a sub, I had to teach the lesson on commas and I kept thinking, "That's not what I was taught! (They use far fewer of them now)

I could never remember the rule for commas, so I just put them where I pause as if speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2236207;
    My mother!!! We tease her mercilessly about that... and my nephew even started correcting her when he was about 4. (He also corrected anyone who mispronounced caramel as "carmel." heh)

Muduh... your "took" and "bring" discussion reminds me of another.... "borrow" vs "loan." I have a couple of friends in Ohio that say "so and so borrowed me some money" instead of "loaned."
    Probably transplants from Memphis. I believe this is the ignorance capitol of the world. I cringe every time I see an athlete interviewed here. Well, also included are City Council people, Mayor, and certainly any teacher who ever shows up on tv. Our city mayor was School Board President for several years before his present job, and he is only semi literate. Every time he shows up on tv I say a little prayer that we have no out of town visitors who may be watchng tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2237414;
    My problem isn't with grammar, but where to put a comma in a sentence.
    I follow the rule that, I learned in 4th grade, from reading a Henry Huggins, story--put a comma after, every fifth word
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2237462;
    I could never remember the rule for commas, so I just put them where I pause as if speaking.
    I was unfortunately never taught any rule for commas.
    So I do what you do.

When I finally started going to School later on, I always got good marks for my papers, but terrible marks for puntuation.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I do the same thing. My son just completed a lesson on commas. I should have reviewed it before he turned it in.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2237496;
    I follow the rule that, I learned in 4th grade, from reading a Henry Huggins, story--put a comma after, every fifth word
    I will have to remember, that rule.

I will remember it too, for after all I am, and ever after will be, Queen Of Using The Comma.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

One rule I learned was to put commas when listing names except for after an and. IE Mary, John, Mark, and Luke went to the store. Or: we went to the store for milk, bread, eggs, and juice
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

That's the change that bugs me most! Now it is acceptable to not put a comma after the last listed item before the and. You can either say eggs, milk, and bread or eggs, milk and bread. Not the same! Sometimes you want to pair things... we're inviting John, Sue, Marty and Jill, and Debbie. I need 3 sandwiches - peanut butter, ham and cheese, and liverwurst. Not using the last comma consistantly makes it confusing!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2238909;
    I will remember it too, for after all I am, and ever after will be, Queen Of Using The Comma.
    I, love, commas, too.

Seriously, it's fun to use commas. Once, in college, I read my Grammar book for fun. Thats bad, isn't it?
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

+ Reply to Thread