+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

I don't understand how people watch court tv. Every time I've tried, it makes me very anxious. I just want people to get along.
    Count your blessings!

I have a co-worker that says 'axed' instead of 'asked'. We are trying to find a way to gently curb him of this!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2235235;
    My BIL says "oinge" instead of "orange". We grew up in the same area and I don't know anyone else who pronounces it that way.
    My mother!!! We tease her mercilessly about that... and my nephew even started correcting her when he was about 4. (He also corrected anyone who mispronounced caramel as "carmel." heh)

Muduh... your "took" and "bring" discussion reminds me of another.... "borrow" vs "loan." I have a couple of friends in Ohio that say "so and so borrowed me some money" instead of "loaned."
    Last edited by Broadway; 02-10-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2236031;
    I give up. I hear so much that is not what I and I am sure many of you, were taught. The place it really bugs me is the TV court shows..
    You said it. Judge Judy could run an ad campaign: "80 percent more 'I seens' than any other syndicated show!" She used to correct people, but not so much now.

And BlondieGirl, a friend's mother always says "Sundee," and "compnee." She also drives a "Hundee," but she really wanted a "Tyota Crolla."

So a question for you Bostonians: Is it a regional thing to say "He come down to the store and ..." My Southie boyfriend, the one with the cute accent, never says "He came down ...."

My daughter, along with all the girls in her class, is wild about the Junie B. Jones books. They're about a first-grader with a lot of sass and spunk. The storylines are okay, but it drives me nuts that they are full of bad grammar. About a third of the sentences end in multiple exclamation points for no good reason. She uses words like "bestest", "bended" and "bringed" routinely and there's nothing in the story to make you think that it's a made-up word. It sounds cute to adults, but the books are aimed at that age level, and they're not read-aloud books. The kids are reading the books by themselves.

My daughter is just gaga over these books so I do my best to point out to her that those words aren't correct. I'm happy that she's so interested in reading by herself, but I'm always trying to steer her to other series. She can smell what I'm up to, so she clings to those Junie B. Jones books.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

OOOH, I loathe children's books that are loaded with bad grammar - children's t.v. shows, too.

Has anyone mentioned "expresso" yet? Does that mean the coffee is served particularly fast?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

My problem isn't with grammar, but where to put a comma in a sentence.

Punctuation is still grammar.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2237412;
    Has anyone mentioned "expresso" yet? Does that mean the coffee is served particularly fast?
    Oh, that one just drives me nuts. I don't know anyone who drinks the stuff in real life, but I invariably end up yelling at the TV "it's espresso, you dolt" at whichever dolt is mispronouncing it.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2237414;
    My problem isn't with grammar, but where to put a comma in a sentence.
    It irks me that the comma rules have changed since I learned them. When I was a sub, I had to teach the lesson on commas and I kept thinking, "That's not what I was taught! (They use far fewer of them now)
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread