+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2230996;
    Wow! These posts are hilarious!

I like "bloopers" on tv. When a newscaster says something incorrect, gets even more flustered, and just can't get it right. Or, when, the person sitting next to them at the desk tries to say the correct word and messes it up too!

I also love it when a "giggle-fest" happens. You know, when one anchor giggles, then the next one gets it and tries to get through his segment and by the time the commercial break comes, you can tell they can hardly hold it in. That's fun sometimes on local news. Not national, mind you.

I've never heard of a sexual sofa though. I don't think we sell those up here.

bbnbama: Yes, I love family "words" too. Like my baba would "open" the tv.; not turn it on. And "shut" the lights, not turn them off. Things like that. It's nice you recognize your moms little s additions.

Utah is famous for fowling up newscasters. We have weirdly spelled towns. It is fun to watch a new weather person try to pronounce Duchesne (Du-Shane), Tooele (To-i-la), Parowan (pear-wan), Hurricane (Hur-a-cun) etc.

Add me to the your/you're, there/their/they're list.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;2232004;
    But back to less regional errors: If I have to hear one more news reporter talking about the "Cannidates"
    Can-di-date!
    That bothers me even more than misspellings (although if I see "loose" instead of "lose" again I'm going to, well, lose it).

I always cringe at "impordant" and "pitcher" instead of picture, but those might be regional things, too.

And "realitor," "exspecially." I hear that last one a lot more these days. Oh, and "alls I know is that ..."

But I do have a soft spot for the Boston accent. My boyfriend ways, "wrappin' paypah." It's so cute.

And "oystah crackahs"! As a transplant to New England (25 years ago) I have a lot of them, but I've already posted them on the thread mentioned above. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who says "expecially". My mom has always implied that I am. Speaking of my mom, we always teased her for "warsh the deeshes". Now my kids catch me saying "warsh" occasionally.
    Count your blessings!

I forgot my other actual grammar error peeve: people saying "I could care less" when, in reality, they actually mean to say "I couldn't care less."
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by candor;2232340;
    ... if I see "loose" instead of "lose" again I'm going to, well, lose it.
    For some reason that is my biggest spelling pet peeve. I see it more often than not.

I also get really irritated when you tell someone your pet is a he or she, yet they continually refer to them of the other gender. And these are people I've known a long time and they've known my pet a long time, and the name of the pet is even gender specific. I figure this kind of qualifies as a grammar mistake since the right pronoun isn't being used .
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2232532;
    I forgot my other actual grammar error peeve: people saying "I could care less" when, in reality, they actually mean to say "I couldn't care less."
    Oh man, do I ever rant about THAT one.:nono
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2232532;
    Guilty as charged!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

A lot of these things (speaking as a language teacher) are instances where languages are changing all the time. If you're getting your point across when you say, "I could care less" (or whatever), then language is being successful. Humans tend to be lazy speakers so a phrase like that is easier than, "I couldn't care less". The latter may even sound a little primadonna and stuffy to some, like "to whome are you speaking?". That's why I don't allow the word "freakin'" in my classroom. You know what you mean and I know what you mean, so it's not appropriate. Misspelling is another story. I'm afraid someday we will be reduced to IM spelling... U for you, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2233676;
    That's why I don't allow the word "freakin'" in my classroom. You know what you mean and I know what you mean, so it's not appropriate.
    I can't stand it when I hear kids using that along with "That's screwed up." Might as well be dropping the F bomb as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2233676;
    I'm afraid someday we will be reduced to IM spelling... U for you, etc.
    Nooooo!!!

Where did that "e" come from on "whome"? Too late to edit.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread