+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Young self/Old self

Thoughts to pass on to 18 yr old me: Most important of all, QUIT SMOKING NOW! You'll save yourself $60,000 in 27 years, not including the amount of money you will spend buying cartons of cigarettes over the years (approximately $35,000).
    Next, don't quit college with one year to go! You will regret it.
    Next, don't listen to the lawyer you paid for-he is a man and gave your ex-husband everything.
    Next, when your ex-husband whines, don't accept his excuses. Think about the fact that although he says he doesn't have enough for support, he is secretly taking trips twice a year to go to New York City to see the plays. Stand Firm! It's for your children.
    Thoughts to pass on from 18 yr old me: Don't judge everything by your life. Listen to other people's advice. Don't be a fuddy duddy. Live. Breathe. Be Cool. It's not true that if you don't practice you will forget it. It's like riding a bike!

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    OS to YS: I know you think booze is cool, but sometimes it's really not THAT cool. You'll wake up feeling like you want to die and when you're trying to remember what all you did the night before, but can't.... that's really not that fun. Oh, and I know that you're not enjoying being 16 right now... but just let it go. Don't try to be 16 again 12 years later. That's just not cool.

YS to OS: Yeah, yeah, I get all that... but what about chicks and stuff? Do I score?

OS to YS: In a word.... no. In two words... hell no. But that's your own fault for blowing your opportunities. Quit being so damn self-centered and insecure, and you may find that some girls might actually LIKE you (a lesson I still have yet to learn, really).

YS to OS: Sounds like I got jipped, man. Old me sucks.

OS to YS: But at least I can buy stuff.

YS to OS: Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

30: Whas up?

18: What up, G.?

30: Shakin' it like a Polaroid picture.

18: Word to your mutha.

30: As much as I would like to continue this meeting of the minds, I don't have much time. The Temporal Police are right behind me.

18: Cool!

30 (grins): Isn't it, though? All right: Eat less. Exercise more. Save money. Stand up for yourself. Remember that bruises heal, but the stain of cowardice lasts a lifetime. Don't stop laughing. Don't worry too much--it all works out. This above all: To thine own self be true.

18: That's trite--Laertes?

30: Close. Polonius. Hamlet.

18: Ah. Yeah.

30 (grins): I forgot how much you've read already.

18: Anything else?

30: One more thing. And I want you to listen to me very closely. On January 26, 1995...

18: You know the exact date?

30 (laughs): Kooky, isn't it? I can't remember what I had for breakfast. On January 26, 1995, you'll be invited to go to a bar with the other students. You're in England.

18: England?!

30: Shut up and listen! Stay close to your friend Ophelia...

18: As in Hamlet...?

30: Hamlet, Shmamlet. You want to hear this? Good. Stay close with Ophelia. Buy a drink. She's going to introduce you to someone. (Picks up 18 by front of shirt, Batman-style.) AND WHEN THE CLOSEST THING TO A GODDESS YOU HAVE EVER SEEN ON EARTH ASKS YOU HOW AN AMERICAN MAN IS SUPPOSED TO KISS AN ENGLISH GIRL WITH GUM IN HIS MOUTH, YOU WILL TAKE OUT YOUR GUM AND SAY, "LET ME SHOW YOU." Do I make myself clear?

18: Jesus! All right!

30: How you messed that up the first time, I'll never know! (Looks toward the shouting coming from the Paradox Portal.) If you mess it up again, I'll come back, and this time I will kick your...Gotta go. Stay groovy.
    Last edited by phat32; 10-09-2004 at 12:18 AM.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    13 year old me to 11 year old me.

Don't hang out with Rachel.
    Turn in your homework.
    What are you doing on Neopets.com? Step away from the computer.

I'm closer to 40 than 30 but feel now like the confident 20 yr old I never was, until I look into the mirror that is. I'm thinner, healthier, fitter and have a much better diet. I've also got so much closer to my family and my friends now are REAL friends not just aquaintances. Think I'll just put sheets over all the mirrors in the house!!

My 33 y/o self would tell my 18 year old self that she's a beautiful, intelligent young lady & that she needs to have more confidence in herself. She'd also tell her to set goals, quit starving herself, don't try to be something you're not & don't be afraid of telling people "no" & to cherish her youth.

My 18 y/o self would ask my 33 y/o self "when the hell did you gain all that weight?!"
    "You went back to school, at your age? I thought we hated school" Then my 33 y/o self would tell her that sometimes work is more than just a paycheck; that you gotta have satisfaction in your work & feel that it's worthwhile. My 18 y/o self would be shocked at how much self-confidence I have now (after years of therapy). She'd be really surprised that I've been married for 12 years to a "prep"!
    After her initial shock, I think she'd think I turned out to be a pretty cool person, all things considered!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

OS to YS...when your father says to you, "I really don't think you should do this, lets leave now and your mother can stall them while we take off." Don't assume he is kidding and just leave. Trust me.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

OS to YS: if a stranger ticks you off, let it go. There's no point in being upset about it longer than necessary. If anything ticks you off, resolve the problem and move on. Be very, very careful with those credit cards. And if you drink, be sure to never do so on an empty stomach. One more thing: stop playing that computer solitaire game.

YS to OS: Travel more, because you never know when you won't be able to. Be more aggressive in what you want in life. One more thing: stop playing that computer solitaire game.

40-year-old me to 18-year-old me:

* At your height 140 pounds is not fat.
    * The quiet ones aren't always mysterious; sometimes they just have nothing to say.
    * Put the bong down! I repeat, put the bong down!
    * You know that computer dweeb you turned down for a date? The one who worked with Gary Kildall? Let's just say you totally blew it.
    * Relax. It's not your job to make everyone comfortable.
    * Don't choose a college because "it's got a pretty campus."
    * Your parents will become your best friends.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567